Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Fun at Four Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Kyjd75 View Post
    Well, today I had the privilege of participating in a private barrel selection at the Four Roses warehouses at Cox's Creek. We selected two barrels that will be sold at Eric's store in Elizabethtown, Ky., Packages and More Liquors. It was quite an experience, and I must say that Four Roses certainly does it right when doing something like this.

We sampled from ten separate barrels, one for each of their ten recipes. All were 10-12 years old. Samples were drawn straight from the barrels and had plenty of char in them. We sampled at barrel strength, and then had the option of adding water if we desired (no one did). The sampling took place in the back of the bottling operation building, and the ten barrels were lined up on the floor immediately adjacent to where we sampled.

Ultimately we chose one barrel each of the OESF and the OBSF recipes. All that we sampled were good, but to us these barrels stood out. Can't wait to see them in the store and take some home!
    Note to self: Go to Elizabeth town in September.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

great experience. thanks for sharing the pics!
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Enthusiast

Although I expect Eric to jump in here with more info, I can report that the finished product has finally arrived! I bought the first bottle this morning of both the OESF and OBSF variations. We opened the OBSF at the store to see if it was as it should be, and I must say it was at least as good as I remembered, or perhaps even better. Eric has several cases of each at present.

Guru

Very cool. Glad these finally came in for you guys!

Virtuoso

Hope they last until Aug 10 when I'll be in Etown. Would like an OBSF to bookend the TPS OESF I already have.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Fun at Four Roses

Finally. Bottled approximately 45 days ago. Cox's creek is 20 miles from our store and it took that long for it to travel to Louisville and then back down to the store. Gotta love the 3 tier system.

To give four roses credit, they bottled less than 30 days from barrel selection. Buffalo trace is saying November before they bottle our selections from last week. Willett is going on 4 months from the time they sent out samples (8 if you count time waiting for samples to be sent).

Guru

Thanks for pointing that out Eric, credit where due . . .

Connoisseur

Yeah, it looks like a long time, until compared to the usual suspects' 'holding patterns'.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Finally. Bottled approximately 45 days ago. Cox's creek is 20 miles from our store and it took that long for it to travel to Louisville and then back down to the store. Gotta love the 3 tier system.

To give four roses credit, they bottled less than 30 days from barrel selection. Buffalo trace is saying November before they bottle our selections from last week. Willett is going on 4 months from the time they sent out samples (8 if you count time waiting for samples to be sent).
    i would understand the backlog from pick to bottle, but from bottle to ship/arrive seems mad since it was a guaranteed sale for the distributor.

Either way, glad they made it in.

Novice

Picked up a bottle of the higher corn recipe last night and had a few sips. First taste was a "wow that's good" moment. Thanks for putting this on the shelf!