Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello from California

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and new to whisky. I still can't stomach Scotch that well, but I find Bourbon to be amazing. I've been through about a dozen bottles of variety in the past few months. My current favorites are Buffalo Trace and Old Weller. When the last Buffalo Trace bottle was emptied I decided to move up a little and got Eagle Rare. However I'm kinda scratching my head on that one. I think I prefer Buffalo Trace to Eagle Rare for some reason. When I'm done with current open bottles I'm hoping to acquire Rittenhouse BIB, Elmer T Lee, and Booker's.

Guru

Re: Hello from California

Hello ML, welcome aboard. There's a lot to learn here so feel free to ask questions.

Enthusiast

Hi MoltenLava. What part of CA are you from? Your 'to try' list looks good to me. Since you like a lot of the Buffalo Trace bottles I'm betting you will really like the ETL. It's a favorite around here.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MoltenLava View Post
    However I'm kinda scratching my head on that one. I think I prefer Buffalo Trace to Eagle Rare for some reason.
    Perhaps its because it tastes better to you...................

Welcome to the group. Your off to a good start on your selections. Curious though, are you wating to finish a bottle before getting another of different "breeding". Often its good to compare side by side. And as you will learn here, there is no such thing as to many bottles, nor to many open bottles, no matter what your wife may say.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Virtuoso

Welcome!

Yes, bourbon is very subjective, something I love another would find it not very good. It's all about how you like it. Also, eventually you will figure out what type of mashbill (bourbon, rye, wheater), how to drink it (neat, water, ice), and how long it is aged works best for your taste buds.

Welcome and do a lot of searching. After many years here, I still spent most of my time searching and learning from the community here. They will also help you narrow down your sampling if you read the tasting notes, etc.

Spend a lot of timing searching then read through the general bourbon section and slowly into the premium, but avoid the collectibles section since there are a lot of bugs there and you will catch something there for sure and much too early. Don't start collecting until you finished trying.

Cheers
    Hugh

Novice

Thanks all for the welcome notes. My first question is, is there a glossary? There are a LOT of good bourbon mentioned here on this forum but most of the times I have no idea what they refer to by AAA, XYZ, etc.

Hi Compliance. I'm from the Northern part of California, near San Francisco and Oakland. By ETL do you mean Elmer T Lee? I was contemplating today and ended up picking up Rittenhouse BIB this time. It's a good Rye Whiskey and I like it. I hope to get Elmer T Lee soon enough though!

Meruck, so far I have been keeping a couple of open bottles. I've been trying to develop my taste by going through a variety in different settings. When a bottle is emptied I would get a different one. But now that I have discovered my preference a bit, I may keep more open bottles in the cabinet to branch out.

Novice

Hello Hugh. Looks like our posts crossed each other. I'm still trying to find out which Bourbon works best for me. I've been a wine drinker for the past decade. I love Cabs from Howell Mountain and Merlots from St Emilion. But I've just discovered Bourbon to be at least as good or more pleasurable in a lot of settings. I drink my Bourbon neat, nothing added in a Old Fashioned Tumbler glass. So far I love the long finish, spice, and a bit of sweetness on Buffalo Trace and Old Weller. Rittenhouse was good, but it didn't wow me as much. I also got a small 50ml bottle of Wild Turkey 101 and I loved that too. I would love to hear about your opinions on the bourbons you have tried.

Virtuoso

On the top for the stickies, there is one for Acroynms:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...t.php?f=43&a=8

ETL is a good choice. Since you mentioned, you like a "long finish, spice, a a bit of sweetness", perhaps try Old Grandad 114. I have not heard any one not liking this and not surprised by it. I had been solely a wheater guy liking maple, caramel, butterscotch sweetness with no burn and little spice, so I would be one to not like OG114, but I really like it a lot. There is some spice since it is rye base but it is SO easy to drink and nice. For the price, this is the best by far and Squire may be mad at me but its the best kept secret here. Readily available in all Bevmo currently.

You may actually like the normal rye based bourbon but only time and trying will tell.

Cheers
    Hugh

PS - I grew up in Oakland for my first almost 30 years!

Connoisseur

[QUOTE=MoltenLava;346799] I still can't stomach Scotch that well, but I find Bourbon to be amazing. My current favorites are Buffalo Trace and Old Weller. I think I prefer Buffalo Trace to Eagle Rare for some reason.
    Welcome to these forums, MoltenLava! You're in for alot of interesting posts and often entire threads. Don't worry too much about 'finding the perfect Bourbon'. The fun is in the seeking, tasting, and generally experiencing of the varied nuances of America's Native Spirit. One thing you'll likely find is that a Bourbon you love today may be second place tomorrow to one you didn't favor at all before. Our own taste buddies change from day to day as well as our olfactory, which is one of the most important ways we define our enjoyment of Bourbon. More than a few of us would pick Buffalo Trace over Eagle rare, if just on price; but also profile. Some find Eagle Rare a bit too "refined" and like BT for it's more bold profile. Try a variety of wheaters (Maker's Mark is nice, if a bit over-priced; Old Weller Antique 107 is excellent) and a variety of standard rye based Bourbons (Old Forester Signature, Old Grand Dad 100, Booker's, and lots of others) to see what the differences may be. You may likely find you like both types for there own general profiles, and each brand for those slight differences that hit your particular preferences. In any case the JOURNEY is the destination; so have FUN!!!!

Novice

Just got myself a bottle of Elmer T Lee. I find it very smooth, somewhat reserved yet has a good kick in the finish. I like it! It reminds me of Russel's Reserve that I finished a couple of weeks ago, but ETL has more powerful finish. Also I'm discovering that I prefer higher proof 100+ Bourbons, so I'll definitely try Old Grand dad 114 also. I also like the spice from the rye that complements the sweetness.