Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Jack Daniels 18 year old

Was watching 'Super Factories' today and it was on JD. During the episode they briefly showed a JD bottle which had '18 years old' on the label. It was Number 7 too. Can anyone provide some information on this? When was it produced?

Guru

Re: Jack Daniels 18 year old

No idea, no clue.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Never say never, but that seems highly unlikely.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I recall seeing an image of this and believe we had a discussion about it some years ago. I seem to recall it was a 1950's-era label but possibly never used.

Gary

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I recall seeing an image of this and believe we had a discussion about it some years ago. I seem to recall it was a 1950's-era label but possibly never used.

Gary
    Cheers. The label looked quite old so that sounds thereabouts.

Just after Repeal, many companies bottled whiskey they had distilled pre-Prohibition and gave it to investors as a liquid dividend. Because Tennessee repealed state Prohibition several years after national Repeal, Jack Daniel's may have done this later than most. That's about the only way I can imagine them doing an 18-year-old age-stated bottling.

Guru

Let's see, I believe the historical timeline shows Jack Daniel's stopped production when Tennessee enacted prohibition in 1910, which law was repealed in 1938. Daniel's then produced for several years but stopped with the WW2 grain restrictions in 1942 and didn't start up again until 1947. Volume wasn't high and the distillery was sold to Brown-Forman in 1956.

It is possible some whisky made just prior to or right after the War remained in barrel and was picked up as stock by Brown-Forman but BF promptly began national campaigning after acquiring Daniels and from that point on production struggled to keep up with demand. With demand so high it's doubtful to me BF would have left any whisky just sitting around in barrels when it could be bottled, but, who knows.

Essentially correct although your line, "Volume wasn't high and the distillery was sold to Brown-Forman in 1956" gives a wrong impression. It makes it sound like JD was distressed when BF picked it up. The exact opposite was the case. The brand was booming and the Motlow family simply couldn't raise enough capital on their own to take it to the next level. They went looking for a partner, knowing they would have to cede absolute control but wanting to stay involved, which is why they sold to Brown-Forman and not Schenley, which offered them more money. The Motlow family had a lot of involvement for the next 30 years or so and JD was managed separately from the rest of the BF portfolio, in Tennessee. By the '80s, the tail was wagging the dog and management of JD was integrated into the rest of the Louisville operation. There are still members of the Daniel/Motlow family involved in Lynchburg.

Guru

A popular brand, yes, but do you have the production figures for 1954?

I'm not disputing that their volume was relatively low. That to some extent is the point. They were selling all they could make, needed to ramp up production, and couldn't raise the necessary money themselves. Are you maintaining it was a distress sale? Is that your point? If not, what is it?