Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Jack Daniels 18 year old

Distress sale? Certainly not, I did not say nor imply any such thing, that was you taking a passing comment out of context. Since we both agree volume was low let's leave it at that.

My point is given the increased demand after Brown-Forman took over it's unlikely that any Daniel stocks were allowed to age 18 years when they could be bottled and sold much earlier.

However, whisky made in the short period between 1938 and 1942, if any were left over, would have been 18 years of age or close to it by the time of the BF purchase in 1956.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I never said you said anything. I just asked you to clarify what you said. Clearly, we both consider it very unlikely that a legitimate 18-year-old Jack Daniel's exists.

Enthusiast

What...................................?
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Guru

We're talking about the mythical 18 year old bottle of Jack Daniels Meruck, the Unicorn of American whiskys.

Enthusiast

ooohhhhhhh....... I see.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Taster

The bottle in question is depicted with contents (suggesting it's not an unused empty). It's labeled corn whiskey rather than Tennessee whiskey, possibly pointing to a certain era in the distillery's history. This bottle would have been provided to the documentary crew by Brown-Forman themselves, so the plot thickens. Is it genuine? Yes, unless B-F fabricated or allowed to be fabricated a prop, or were duped about the provenance of their own bottle.

JD18.jpg
    JD18-1.jpg
    JD18-2.jpg
    JD18-3.jpg

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I have seen an image of this before, and mentioned it online some time ago but couldn't find the source. I thought it was a book by Michael Jackson but on checking my copies couldn't find it.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Oops I see now that the earlier discussion about that bottle appeared earlier in this very thread! Interesting whether it actually existed or not, we'll probably never know.

Gary

Connoisseur

I have seen that bottle in person. I first visited JD in the mid 90's. They had the visitors center then in part of a rickhouse. They had a pile of bottles, odd ones like that on display. When they built the new center, they did not display all of the bottles from the old center. A lot of the, said corn whiskey on them. Two reasons I think that is, basically back when jack started, and I ccould be wrong, since the mashbill is mostly corn, he could age in new barrels, if he did that, and call it corn whiskey. And in the market he was in, that being the southeast, corn whiskey would have probably been looked upon as the good stuff. I want to say I say some bottles labeled as bourbon. I saw a brand of actual corn whiskey on display too, one was white, one label was very light colored, like a used barrel was used. I wish they had put all of those bottles in the new center.

Taster

tmckenzie, thanks for the input. Encouraging to see that you saw the bottle, or one like it. I have more information on this bottle, which I will bring to light... as soon as FedEx delivers my new phone that contains a decent camera. Stay tuned to this channel.