Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Taster

Re: Jack Daniels 18 year old

JD21.jpg

"Although the square bottle changed very little, the early labels show changes in color design and content. The twenty-one-year-old whiskey might have been a distilling experiment or a whiskey overlooked in the aging warehouse. It was therefore aged much longer than necessary. It is very rare, but since a label was printed to designate the age, there had to be at least a barrel or more bottled."

Looks like the mystery 18yo bottle is a younger relative of this one. Taken from a book commissioned by Brown-Forman in 1992 and sent to Tennessee Squires as a gift. My copy has the letter addressed to the original recipient in it.

Guru

Of course there's no guarantee Jack Daniels actually made the whisky in those bottles. There were a number of distilleries in Tennessee in the early days and no reason why JD could not have bought some stock from a smaller maker to bottle under it's own label.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Taster

True enough, not that it matters. In his book, Peter Krass (Blood and Whiskey) seems to portray Jack as a man who'd never do that, being a fanatic about his own product. But the public image put forth for marketing purposes can never be trusted.

Which brings me to my very first thought when I laid eyes on the 18 year old bottle. Who would have been policing how old the spirit was? Was there any system in place to guarantee that a whiskey labeled 18 or 21 years was really that old?