Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Advanced Taster

Re: Why is Bourbon getting worse?

Blame it on the accountants

Increase of distillation proof
    and the corresponding
    Increase of barrel entry proof (and/or the water needed to bring it down to 125)

I'm still begging to anyone who is listening to please make me a whiskey that is distilled to 100 proof, entered into the barrel untouched, and bottled 5-10 years later untouched. Please! You can just take all my money!
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Enthusiast

Why is Bourbon getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by fussychicken View Post

I'm still begging to anyone who is listening to please make me a whiskey that is distilled to 100 proof, entered into the barrel untouched, and bottled 5-10 years later untouched. Please! You can just take all my money!
    Please enlighten those of us who are neither chemists nor distillers on what would come of the procedure above....

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by savagehenry View Post
    Please enlighten those of us who are neither chemists nor distillers on what would come of the procedure above....
    Use a wheated receipe, dont cook your mash under presure\, sing to the barrels at night and you may end up with the real vintage SW juice.................. but probebly not.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Guru

Oh, and sell it cheap.

Guru

Why is Bourbon getting worse?

Bottled by vestal virgins I'm guessing?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

The vestals have been transferred to the marketing dept.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Meruck View Post
    Use a wheated receipe, dont cook your mash under presure\, sing to the barrels at night and you may end up with the real vintage SW juice.................. but probebly not.

It would maximize the amount of grain flavor in the final product. Distilling to a high proof removes flavor (think vodka). Also you have to add water to get the proof down to 125 before putting it into the barrel which also reduces grain flavor.

While we are indeed getting more and more cask strength offerings (and paying dearly for the privilege) the majority of the extra flavor you are getting is barrel flavor. Everything that the barrel "adds" isn't watered down before being put in the bottle. The grain flavor on the other hand is being watered down twice before even getting to the barrel.
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter