Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Why is Bourbon getting worse?

I'd doubt type of corn would significantly affect bourbon.

There's a bigger difference with barley in scotch because they lack a stronger flavoring grain (rye) and don't use new barrels, all of which give barley more potential to affect the taste of the final product than corn.

Enthusiast

I dont know, I find the more I drink the more I like it, regardless of what it is......................................
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Guru

Yes, golden Promise is to Scottish malts as Maris Otter is to British ales. Interestingly, Golden Promise was created in 1956 by exposing an existing variety to gamma rays making it one of the first genetically modified grains to be widely accepted by the distilling and food industry.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post

I also think that the changing quality of water and wood in KY is going to produce products that taste different over time.
    GMO aside, I also wonder about the water and especially the wood. Anyone building anything out of wood today can tell you how much difference there is vs. wood from 30-40 yrs ago.
    Last edited by miller542; 05-21-2013 at 12:01.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jackinbox View Post
    As a newbie, I notice a lot of posts that allude to the fact that many bourbon brands were better decades ago. Just a few examples that come to mind are:

- OGD bottled by ND is better
    - Make sure you get the PVW with the SW juice
    - Jim Beam White Label was better in the 70s

What's causing this? Are they changing the formulas? Aging less? Cutting corners in distillation?
    I highlighted your question that is also the answer.
    It's as simple as that.

(7000)
    ovh

Disciple

Far removed from my maternal farming grandparents but hasn't the development of hybrid corns and management of kernel processing greatly increased the starch content availability in the corn now being used. More starch in the mash should have some effect.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I also think that the changing quality of water and wood in KY is going to produce products that taste different over time. Same with the underlying grains. Today, most of us consider 6yo bourbon as still immature, but S-W was producing 6yo bourbon with remarkable depth of color and flavor.

Water quality and wood? The water is drawn from the limestone shelf and it takes literaly hundreds of years for the water to perculate down to the table. As for wood, most commcially harvested wite oak trees for barrel staves are taken from eastern Ohio and PA, not KY. S-W produced thier bourbon differently. "Pappy always said presure cooking the mash killed the wheat."

Global warming is NOT effecting your bourbon..........................................r ight Al?
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Jack we have to look at where Seagrams was at the time. Their VO and other blends were the company's cash cow so they sold Four Roses as a Bourbon overseas (quite successfully) and did not let it compete with their other brands sold here.
    A good amount of four roses bourbon was used in the 70s era canadian 7 and VO blends. And speaking of Diagio dumbing down a quality and successful brand. They will be ending the contract with 4 Roses to make bulleitt in the next year. The ten year is all four roses but the regular is a blend of a number of bourbons including four roses.

Guru

Corn? Wood?
    It's all in the aging, everyone is bottling green whiskey, it ain't done aging and they are selling young stuff.
    ovh

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    ...The ten year is all four roses but the regular is a blend of a number of bourbons including four roses.
    Are you sure about that, Eric? I am thinking both Bulleitt's are 4R distillate.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama