Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Why is Bourbon getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Are you sure about that, Eric? I am thinking both Bulleitt's are 4R distillate.
    Aaannnd..if its a blend from different distilleries, it can't be straight, which they say it is
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    The ten year is all four roses but the regular is a blend of a number of bourbons including four roses.
    Are you sure about that, Eric? I am thinking both Bulleitt's are 4R distillate.
    Joe, I think Eric is correct about this.
    It does remind me of some original staements about Buillet in it's introduction.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Aaannnd..if its a blend from different distilleries, it can't be straight, which they say it is

Here we go, I think this clears it up.
    I stand corrected.

But,......could they have broke the law?
    And if they did who is going to bust them?
    ovh

Disciple

Why is Bourbon getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    It can still be labeled straight bourbon, as long as all the straight bourbon involved is from the same state. Only something like High West American Prairie Reserve, which contains FR bourbon and LDI bourbon, must be labeled "A Blend of Straight Bourbons."
    Jim

Guru

I believe a mingling of straights made in the same State and otherwise meeting labeling standards (less than 4 years must have an age statement) can be labeled as Straight Bourbon.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    It can still be labeled straight bourbon, as long as all the straight bourbon involved is from the same state. Only something like High West American Prairie Reserve, which contains FR bourbon and LDI bourbon, must be labeled "A Blend of Straight Bourbons."
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I was thinking it was a mingling of different 4R mashbills, but not different distilleries.

To get back on topic, this is one reason bourbon is getting worse...Too damn many mystery bottles...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Enthusiast

Biggest factor, IMO, quality of the cooperage has taken a huge dive. Fully yard-aged wood used to be the norm, now it's a rarity.

Why is Bourbon getting worse?

I was thinking it was a mingling of different 4R mashbills, but not different distilleries.

To get back on topic, this is one reason bourbon is getting worse...Too damn many mystery bottles...
    Definitely has a number of 4R recipes in both the 10 year and regular bulleit. If the info we were given is accurate, only the 10 year is 100% 4roses.

At times regular bulleit may have been 100% 4R but they could not say for certain that it is now 100%. I don't know if that means if it is distilled at different places, then shipped to be barreled and aged at 4R or if the filled barrels were brought in from outside sources, aged at 4R or if diagio simply bought aged stock elsewhere and it is blended in.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    Biggest factor, IMO, quality of the cooperage has taken a huge dive. Fully yard-aged wood used to be the norm, now it's a rarity.
    Do you have any evidence to support that? According to the history as I know it, fully yard-aged wood may have been the norm before Prohibition, though I doubt it, and it most certainly has not been the norm since until very recently. Brief yard aging followed by kilning was the norm from WWII until just recently (no more than the last decade), when the benefits of natural yard aging were rediscovered.

Go here for more.