Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Why is Bourbon getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Most of you aren't old enough to be so nostalgic about the good old days. The only real factual basis for this phenomenon is that many bourbon enthusiasts picked up the hobby during, and in part because of, the bourbon glut that made well-aged bourbon ridiculously affordable. That was a fluke of history and likely won't be repeated. Aside from that, bourbon has never been better than it is today.

Okay, I've said it. You may now resume your ill-informed speculation and analysis.
    A (hopefully) clarifying analogy: Many complain that the American middle class lifestyle has slowly deteriorated over the last couple decades or so. Conversely, many boomers and even x-ers complain that gen-y must be uniquely lazy because of all the trouble they seem to be having. Really, though, the fluke economic fat years of the post war and then dot com periods made it especially easy to be middle class - in terms of US history. We mistook these fat years for permanent progress, but now things are cycling down to normal again.

So, new bourbon hobbyists (gen y) are right that our glut year predecessors had it easier.
    Also, veteran bourbon hobbyists (boomers) are shortsighted when they read worsening conditions as a special new and unfair dark time.
    Both can recognize that, glut (boom) years notwithstanding, things are still pretty good overall.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Why is Bourbon getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I'm more worried about the bourbon of the future. I believe that today's EC12 will taste different from EC12 a decade from now thanks to global warming (assuming nothing else changes, such as where they age the barrels, implementing temp control, etc). I was chatting with someone at Willett/KBD who said that they're seeing evaporation rates in the past few years higher than in years past. Although, this may have more of an impact on the value bourbons aged closer to the top of the rickhouses.
    Buffalo trace has said the same thing about evaporation rates to us. Blaming some very extended periods of summer heat and mild winters on lower yields.

Guru

Gary if I'm still around a decade from now I won't complain about a shift in the EC flavor profile.

As for evaporation, that's due to weather.

Guru

"are right that our glut year predecessors had it easier. "

If you kids don't stop making swipes at us glut veterans I'm gonna shake my cane at 'ya and chase ya'll out of the yard.

Guru

They'll just market it as Global Warming Surviving Bourbon and many of us will gladly pay.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    Count me as a fan of current whiskey. Sure, there are some great dusty bourbons. But, the more dusties I try, the less I like them as a whole. Now, as then, there are gems in the bottom to mid shelves.
    Yup. What he said. I think we get so caught up in chasing those old bottles that we forget there are some damned good ones sitting on the shelf at the liquor store waiting to be brought home. 10 years from now we'll all be bitching about how good bourbon was in the 20-teens and bragging about the number of bottles of Knob Creek we managed to squirrel away, "because it was better back then."
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

We'll probably be slugging down 10 year old Rye/Bourbon hybrids by then.

Disciple

The dusty chase is not much fun unless you get lucky. I like my bunker, I wish there was more in there, but it is what it is. There is a lot fo good stuff out there now and much of it is current production.

But as for the original topic, I nominate Wild Turkey for the getting worse prize. Such a shame too.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Pick up a bottle of WT101 next chance you get. Make it a 375 if you're skeptical. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. I was. (And in case anyone is wondering, it's a bottle I bought.)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    They'll just market it as Global Warming Surviving Bourbon and many of us will gladly pay.
    I like it! I'll put it next to my tornado surviving and opossum surviving Col. Taylor bottles.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    The dusty chase is not much fun unless you get lucky. I like my bunker, I wish there was more in there, but it is what it is. There is a lot fo good stuff out there now and much of it is current production.

But as for the original topic, I nominate Wild Turkey for the getting worse prize. Such a shame too.
    Hear hear. No wild anymore, just turkey.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog