Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Why is Bourbon getting worse?

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Pick up a bottle of WT101 next chance you get. Make it a 375 if you're skeptical. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. I was. (And in case anyone is wondering, it's a bottle I bought.)
    I'm sure the liquor companies know where you shop and planted super special good Turkey on the shelves in case you came in.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Pick up a bottle of WT101 next chance you get. Make it a 375 if you're skeptical. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. I was. (And in case anyone is wondering, it's a bottle I bought.)
    Thanks Chuck, will do.
    ~Robert BTOTY #2 2009

GBS Member - 2011 Indoctrination

Guru

I think this is where my lack of historical insight/taste helps me out. I've only tasted what WT "was" at special gatherings, where everything always tastes better in large part due to the company. So when I try WT101, I'm not comparing it to some recollection of what it might have been. After seeing the thrashing it typically (not always) receives here, I was skeptical - and pleasantly surprised to find in a blind tasting that I liked it quite well.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Blind tasting rounds off a lot of square pegs and I'm glad to hear the current WT 101 is still showing well.

Advanced Taster

As he tends to do, Chuck makes a great point here. I've got tons of dusties and premium bottles, but I find that current make WT101 is among those that I reach for most often. It's great neat and makes wonderful cocktails. And while I've had some bottles from the 70s/80s/early 90s that were terrific, the ones I've bought in the last year or so are just as good.

In a more general sense, dusties make for a fun scavenger hunt, and if you get lucky, you can score some very good whiskey relatively inexpensively. But just looking at the open dusties on my bar right now, there are quite a few where I wish I'd have been just as happy buying and drinking current bottles of Weller 12, OWA, Rittenhouse BIB, WT101, BT, etc. For every dusty bottle that's wowed me, there's been one that was disappointing or (more frequently) forgettable.

Guru

Dusty hunting is a good way to get the SO involved. Tell the girl to pick a destination, garb a bag and camera and off we go. That way she doesn't mind when you occasional stop at 'interesting' places.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    Thanks Chuck, will do.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts once you do. I recently bought current WT101(new package) and found it very disappointing. I can buy BT, FC, OGD114, and FRSmB for the same price, and all are leagues better, IMHO. Don't even get me started on current WTKS.

Connoisseur

Anyone else sick of the lies people tell especially about origin of the juice? It's exhausting.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Guru

Brett I'm only mildly amused by the tall tales but will speak out against NDPs who use puffery to claim their bought whisky is so special as to command a premium.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Brett I'm only mildly amused by the tall tales but will speak out against NDPs who use puffery to claim their bought whisky is so special as to command a premium.
    Squire I'm not amused when a sales person from an NDP almost weekly comes into my job insulting my intelligence and proficiency in my occupation by alluding to some tall tale of their grandfather, a back porch, and a distillery which does not exist.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.