Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: New Bourbon Drinker

Some thoughts...

When most of us started drinking bourbon, we succumbed to the MM image and thought it was the best bourbon out there. And compared to JB and JD, it was. But, after we started trying the wider variety of bourbons (primarily, after joining SB.com!), we may have felt silly having spent all that money and heaping all that praise on MM.

Also, I think that many of us still love the MM marketing and we get frustrated that MM won't bottle a product worthy of its reputation.

In the two ways above, we feel jilted. Consequently, we sometimes despise our "ex" and tend to bash it.

Anyhow, that's my theory and I am sticking to it.

Disciple

Also, I think that many of us still love the MM marketing and we get frustrated that MM won't bottle a product worthy of its reputation.

Exactly MM is a great $14 bourbon that I would have to pay $19 - $23 to buy here. Yeah the MM guys have great marketing and have done a lot to shed bourbons rotgut image, and thats great. At the risk of sounding cranky though I have to say that I have never heard "wow, thats marketed well" as a positive comment in a blind tasting, there red wax helps them sell a lot of bourbon at a premium price, but does nothing for the contents of the bottle. It is a good entry level wheated bourbon, especially because EVERYBODY starts there (me too, and I still think it is good, just $$$$$), but I bet most dont turn back when faced with a choice between MM and Weller 12 or VanWinkle 10/107 both at around that pricw or cheaper. So my advice on MM, Buy it, Love it, move on, look back fondly but dont waste the money again.

BLEEEE
    TomC

Disciple

Dont listen to the vitamin contingency!! George Dickel 12 is worth a try (if not only for the same reason as MM, its decent priced and if you dont like it, you dont have to look back!!)

TomC

Enthusiast

Great post Bobby and I agree wholehartedly. As someone who enjoys Maker's Mark I am sometimes bewildered by the abuse that it takes here on the boards. I agree that the price is a little steep, but it's not the rotgut a newbie might expect after reading some posts here. I believe Maker's Mark has done more for the total image and recognition of bourbon world-wide than any other producer. For that at least they are deserving of some level of respect.
    I agree.

I like Makers and must take my hat off to the Marketing Department. When I am converting a mixer to Bourbon I start by buying them Makers. It is an easy to drink nice laid back Bourbon.

I like others better in other ways. OGD 114, EC 12, and Eagle Rare SB, are some of my current favorites but my tastes change from time to time and even from night to night. Who knows I may fall in love with Makers all over again.

Enthusiast

Welcome! I too am fond of other whiskies. If you like Islays you of course will not find peaty bourbons, but you can certainly find some powerful ones. Although there are only a handful of barrel proof bourbons, there are a wide range sold at 100 proof or more. I also enjoy MM. If you can find it overseas or in duty free, you might want to pick up the 101 proof. Weller Centenniel 100 proof is another great wheater. My favorate Tennessee whiskey is Gentleman Jack. Ditto the other suggestions from the board.

Guru

Greg,

... Eagle Rare (both single barrel and 19 are superb, and I even love the 10 yo)...
    You have reminded me that I continually confuse the two younger Eagle Rare bottlings. I did it yet again in my earlier reply in this thread.

Sometime back I got it into my head that the Single Barrel is also 10 years old. That confusion caused me to order a bottle of the 10 year old by mistake. As mistakes go, that was a rather pleasant one. However, I hope my earlier post, now too old to edit, doesn't confuse anyone else.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

Ok Dave, now I'm getting confused as well. Let's clear this up... The Eagle Rare Single Barrel is a 10 year old whiskey. Then there is an Eagle Rare 10 year old 101 Proof. And finally there is the forever great (in my book ) Eagle Rare 17 year old from the Antique Collection. I've never had the 10 year 101 Eagle Rare (Though I'm sure it is good) but the other 2 are superb in my book.

Advanced Taster

Welcome to Bourbonia.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record to this board's regular's, I would highly recommend my current favorite American whiskey--Van Winkle Family Reserve Straight Rye Whiskey 13yo . True, it's not a bourbon, but still one of the best distilled spirits on the planet. Packed with a seemingly endless array of aromas and flavors. Just thinking about this stuff makes me yearn for a glass...and it's only 9:20 AM! At $26 a bottle (here in PA), it's also the best whiskey bargains going.

I'd also heartily recommend the Sazerac Rye 18yo. Yummy stuff, if you can find it. I'll second the nomination of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

I may have missed it, but did anyone mention George T. Stagg or Old Forester Birthday Bourbon? Folks here have raved about both these elixirs for the better part of a year. I can personally attest to the greatness of Stagg , but, unfortunately, the OFBB has never seen these parts Both are rare finds: the Stagg because it was a limited release and sold quickly (but may soon be seen again); the OFBB because certain people, who shall remain nameless , hoard it by the case. If you ever find either one, buy without hesitation.

Enjoy the journey.

SpeedyJohn

Taster

Maker\'s Mark (Once Again)

Jeff,

Here is where we have agreed in the past. I will concede that while Makerís Mark is probably not the best value in bourbon today it is an excellent product for a reasonable price compared to some other premium bourbons. Over the years Makerís Mark has done much to market itself and the bourbon industry as a whole. Of course if they didnít have a basically good product all this marketing wouldnít mean anything. In some of the small taverns I have visited it is the only premium bourbon behind the bar. I know one of the knocks against Makerís Mark is that while other distillers will release a new bottling Makerís Mark will release their same product with a different color wax or label. However, this has always been their business plan and you have to admit it has worked. They have been able to sell and get a somewhat premium price for everything that they have been able to produce. Now I know on this board we are in the minority when it comes to our appreciation for Makerís Mark. It is only one of many bottlings that I enjoy, however, as Charlie Daniels would say ďgive the devil its due.Ē

One question thou is how the retirement of their Master Distiller, Steve Nally, is going to effect the company?

Todd

Taster

Where do you find VWFR Rye in Pa. ??