Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Swill

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Operation Swill

I for one will be interested in the brand identification technology used by the undercover officers in this sting operation. Tomorrow's press conference should be interesting to say the least.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...orities_r.html
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Re: Operation Swill

This has been going on for decades in places like TGI Fridays, Bennigans, etc.

Why just now is it becoming a big sting operation?
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Why just now is it becoming a big sting operation?
    My guess is some clown pulled this stunt at a cop bar in NJ. Burn a detective and suffer the consequences.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Operation Swill

Mark Browns daily industry report had articles about counterfeit booze. With claims that 8% of booze sold worldwide was not genuine. The articles were geared more towards outright fakes and suggested laser etching as the only real solution.

Guru

Just think, if they had filled most of those bottles with Evan Williams Black label they might not have been caught.

Virtuoso

If the clientele doesn't notice, does it matter? Yeah, from an ethical standpoint, it does. Still, with the drinks that most are ordering at Applebee's and TGI Friday's, I can't imagine it made any difference.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

Oh man, I am pissed now that I found out TGI Fridays's was probably swapping out the high-end booze in my mudslides!

Guru

Ethics aside fraud and false pretenses are crimes and if the area chain stores are in it together it's criminal conspiracy.

On the civil side I'm sure the Atlanta trial lawyers will think up some more stuff.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Ethics aside fraud and false pretenses are crimes and if the area chain stores are in it together it's criminal conspiracy.

On the civil side I'm sure the Atlanta trial lawyers will think up some more stuff.
    I was making light of the subject, but it really is a terrible thing. Imagine if the restaurant were substituting Aldi stew meat for Kobe beef. The outrage would be devastating to those establishments. The press conference will be very interesting.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

They don't do it in Iowa anymore but it used to be the law in Iowa that empty bottles had to be broke. Bars and restaurants would keep a divided box like you get from the liquor store behind the bar, put the bottle in it and punch the bottom out with a steel rod. I think they quit doing this when they added the $.05 deposit on the bottles.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.