Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Novice

Hello from Reston, VA

A buddy of mine brought over a bunch of bourbon a year or so ago. I have always loved my JD but we had ourselves a little tasting that night. Pappy's was one of the 5. Now I am hooked on a whole new level. Should I thank him or has he created a monster? Ever since that day I have been chasing the dragon. I am up to about 10 or so different bottles in my collection and I can't wait for feedback on what I should buy next.

Guru

Re: Hello from Reston, VA

Good morning BD, welcome aboard. Tell us what you have and what you like then we can recommend some others. You are also welcome to join in our chat room that meets in the evenings. The chat icon in on the lower left hand corner of your screen.

Novice

Pappy's 20 yr is the tastiest bourbon I have come across thus far which I imagine is a common answer around here. My buddy hooked me on the good stuff and I was lucky enough to grab a bottle after being on the VA ABC wait list for over a year. Unfortunately they have suspended the wait list and will not add more requests due to the 3 yr+ wait list demand. SO I went on a spending spree and picked up a bottle of George T. Stagg, Prichards Double Chocolate, Jefferson's Presidential Reserve Select 21 yr, High West Double Rye, Four Roses Single Barrel and Small Batch and Eagle Rare 17 yr trying to find something close to the almighty Pappy. Around Christmas time my old man brought me a few bottles from the Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project (96, 174 and a third which we drank up already). All those are pretty tasty too.

Enthusiast

Well at least your not shy on the good stuff.

Hate to break it to you but this forum and the folks on it dont seem to have very strong opinions about whats a good bourbon and whats not...............................oh, sorry I thought I was somewhere else.

Pappy is a wheater, its sounds like thats where you should start. Weller 12, or OWA107. And if you stick around long enough you may be able to figure out how to pour an SB blend.

You should expect your decoder ring in the next few weeks.

And just a thought on the lower shelf side, try yourself a bottle of OF BIB (Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond), good summer time whiskey.

Welcome to the site.
    Last edited by Meruck; 05-23-2013 at 13:32.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Enthusiast

Welcome to the gang. Warm fire here.

Connoisseur

Welcome to the forum from a fellow resident of the Commonwealth of VA.
    "There's nothing better than a fine dinner, a good bottle of whiskey and a bad girl"

Enthusiast

Good to see you on the forum, Bduts. This is the place to get your whiskey knowledge on, and definitely the place to learn how to get some good stuff without paying as much as you've been paying lately

Reston?

Is that where you hide the stash from the wife?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    Good to see you on the forum, Bduts. This is the place to get your whiskey knowledge on, and definitely the place to learn how to get some good stuff without paying as much as you've been paying lately

Reston?

Is that where you hide the stash from the wife?
    I hide my good stuff in the horse barn so my wife doesn't try to mix it with coke when I am out playing hockey!

Apprentice

Welcome to the forum. Grüß aus Deutschland.
    Sláinte!
    Kurt
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink.They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna feel all day." - Dean Martin

Virtuoso

Welcome to the forum. I used to live in Herndon, VA right there next to Reston. Great area!