Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ardbeg Ardbog

Enthusiast

Re: Ardbeg Ardbog

I tried this the other day. Man, I am just not a peaty drinker. Funny because that used to be my whisky of choice.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    By the way, the host mentioned that 35% of the 'Bog's contents were aged in manzanilla casks for 10-12 years. I don't know how old the other 65% is.
    You can bet the other 65% is less than 10 years old (probably in the 7-8 range) - otherwise they would put an age statement on the bottle.

Virtuoso

I like all the Ardbegs I've tasted, but I haven't had the "bog". I'll take the standard 10 year over all of them.

Taster

It's coming in at $99.00 a bottle here. After diving into the Galileo without trying it first, I'm definitely gonna wait to try this one before buying it.

Advanced Taster

had a pour of this last night. liked it a lot....almost as much as i like alligator, and that's been my favorite release to date. if i can find it for a price that's not too rapey, it will come home with me.
    "We're still here. Scarred but here. But then again, we were invincible then."

Connoisseur

Ardbeg Ardbog

Got to try this last night. Started off with the typical young, bold, big Ardbeg peat that I love. Mid-palate was nice as well with some salty cracker notes as the Manzanilla kicked in and began to turn sweet.

Unfortunately, the finish ruined it for me and I use that term loosely. This is no Galileo flop, a solid dram for sure, but the finish turned a bit sappy/borderline cloying and after 30-45 seconds....chalky. And I HATE chalky.

Looks like I'll be passing on another Ardbeg release. It pains me to say that.
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didnít understand the question."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MacinJosh View Post
    Got to try this last night. Started off with the typical young, bold, big Ardbeg peat that I love. Mid-palate was nice as well with some salty cracker notes as the Manzanilla kicked in and began to turn sweet.

Unfortunately, the finish ruined it for me and I use that term loosely. This is no Galileo flop, a solid dram for sure, but the finish turned a bit sappy/borderline cloying and after 30-45 seconds....chalky. And I HATE chalky.

Looks like I'll be passing on another Ardbeg release. It pains me to say that.
    Have to agree with Josh here - esp. for $100 a bottle. Had a chance to sample this earlier this week and loved the nose and palate and with water the peat subsided some and a nice malty/fruitiness emerged. But the finish wasn't there for me either - chalky is a good description; kind of bitter/salty to me.
    Mark

Advanced Taster

For those traveling in the Northeast, NH Liquor Commission has Ardbog for $95 a bottle - and they also are having a 15% off sale on American spirits and wines - buy 12 bottles of anything American (wine and/or hooch) and get 15% off your purchase. My budget took a hit as I brought home one Ardbog and a bunch of bourbons - Jefferson's Small batch for $20 net was too cheap to pass up.

Guru

Finally made it to the shelves around here, but just had to pass b/c of all the mixed reviews. Good news is it will sit here for years to come, so I have plenty of time to make a different decision later.

Disciple

Passing on the Bog (even at $75) but I did find an '03 bottling of the Ten (L3 041 1135 4ML) yesterday for $39.99 that probably has older whisky in it too .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011