Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

whats your favourite rye?

Coming from Australia, we are not blessed with a great variety of Rye's. However on my way back from the USA last month I managed to pickup some gems that aren't available here. Ive been enjoying Templeton Rye, and Bulliet Rye witch I think has just fantastic flavour and spice. Tried Old Overholt also witch wasn't bad for a lower proof whiskey. Whats your favourite? price is no object, look forward to your responses from down under and abroard!

Connoisseur

I love lots of rye. I would try Whistle Pig, Jefferson's, Rittenhouse, Baby Saz, Saz 18, and my personal fav, Thomas H Handy.

Guru

Re: whats your favourite rye?

Favorite ryes would be Sazerac 18, Handy, Rittenhouse BIB and Wild Turkey 101. There are other good ones of course but those are at the top of my list.

Enthusiast

High West Rendezvous and van Winkle Family Reserve

Virtuoso

The best ryes I've ever had are two that I'm not likely to have again, a Rathskeller and Abraham Bowman, both at this year's Gazebo gathering.

In terms of daily favorites, I absolutely love the Willett 4/5 year 110 proof. Similar to the Willett is the very good Smooth Ambler 7 year rye. I also have 6 or so Ritt BIB 354 in the bunker. That stuff is a dollar-for-dollar champion.

Guru

I like the Van Winkle Rye, in fact it's the only Van Winkle I would consider buying, but it's too difficult to obtain to merit a spot on my list.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    The best ryes I've ever had are two that I'm not likely to have again, a Rathskeller and Abraham Bowman, both at this year's Gazebo gathering.
    Josh, you will make many more trips to the Gazebo, and I can guarantee that more AB will be there
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Disciple

Obtainable-Ritt BIB,Willett,Whistlepig,Jeffersons,Mastersons,Dicke l,Knob Creek and Bullliet

Obtainable but difficult to find-VWFRR,Ritt 21,23,25,BMH 23,Hirsch 21,22,25,HW16 and 21

The ultra-aged ryes are always a treat and always prove to be rather elusive,enjoy your rye journey.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post

In terms of daily favorites, I absolutely love the Willett 4/5 year 110 proof. Similar to the Willett is the very good Smooth Ambler 7 year rye. I also have 6 or so Ritt BIB 354 in the bunker. That stuff is a dollar-for-dollar champion.
    Seconded on that Rathskeller. Absolutely one of the best whiskies I've ever had period.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Black Maple Hill 18 year old rye and second to that, Michter's 10 year old straight rye.

The problem is, I can't find any anymore.

Gary