Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

whats your favourite rye?

Templeton or Saz

Re: whats your favourite rye?

For me its THH, Saz18, Rathskeller, Ritt, and WT. Maybe in that order but it varies by my mood. Rathskeller is all I drink when at the Seelbach. Has anyone had a Rathskeller Rye in the Rathskeller at the Seelbach. I really like that place. Lots of history and some interesting stories about it. Plus its just cool as hell.

whats your favourite rye?

We just received the willett 4year rye on Thursday. It says distilled in Indiana. So no doubt its LDI rye at 110 proof. Curious why so many praise it but not the other 20 LDI ryes? I might buy a bottle and see for myself.

My favorite ryes are saz18, HW21, handy, baby saz, and the new AE rye for a dessert.

Guru

I can't think of any other LDI ryes that are NCF and 110 proof, although they may be out there. Could be a part of it.

Guru

I suspect the proof as well as otherwise it's the same whisky.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    We just received the willett 4year rye on Thursday. It says distilled in Indiana. So no doubt its LDI rye at 110 proof. Curious why so many praise it but not the other 20 LDI ryes? I might buy a bottle and see for myself.

My favorite ryes are saz18, HW21, handy, baby saz, and the new AE rye for a dessert.
    Proof, Price, and versatility.

High proof, for a better price-compared to the others, and can have it straight up, handles a touch of water well, and the high proof also works better in most drinks I think.

I'm in Iowa now and everybody has Templeton in the stores. Cheapest I've seen was $31.99 on sale at Walgreens-which for personal reasons I just think is wrong, and about everywhere else it was about $38.99.

NAS, NDP 80 proof product??? I'm passing. Willett, at least as available to me, is a much better value, and taste, the good ones are very good for a young rye!!

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Guru

LDI rye comes in many guises, may as well have the high octane version.

Connoisseur

Wild Turkey Rye 101, Pikesville (as a lower-proof alternative), Rittenhouse, or Knob Creek Rye. The Wild Turkey 101 is absolutely the best though. A shame that da** vodka company that owns Wild Turkey doesn't give a sh** that the 81 is probably the nastiest swill ever made.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    Wild Turkey Rye 101, Pikesville (as a lower-proof alternative), Rittenhouse, or Knob Creek Rye. The Wild Turkey 101 is absolutely the best though. A shame that da** vodka company that owns Wild Turkey doesn't give a sh** that the 81 is probably the nastiest swill ever made.
    I've refused to buy the 81 on principle. Almost worried I will find it tasty and my principles will be tested each time I visit the whiskeymonger. But I can still get Ritt BIB enough that I can bide my time until the real turkey makes its return.

Pikesville is great booze, amazing QPR, but they've cut distribution back to the bare minimum. Have to get that one via airmail nowadays.

Connoisseur

Trust me, with the 81 rye, you won't like it. It's the most foul whiskey I've ever had.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.