Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: whats your favourite rye?

I think the 1983 Medley stuff is incomparable (VWFRR, Hirsch, etc). Whatever is in Michter's 10 (I suspect some of the latter) is close. I echo the mourning of the passing of the Saz 18 as a tie for second with M10. I just have to make sure I have enough to last until BT starts releasing aged rye.

For young rye, I really love the Ritt BIB (just posted about the DSP-KY-1, which I like a bit better than the 354) and Baby Saz in a tie.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyobsessive View Post
    I think the 1983 Medley stuff is incomparable (VWFRR, Hirsch, etc). Whatever is in Michter's 10 (I suspect some of the latter) is close. I echo the mourning of the passing of the Saz 18 as a tie for second with M10. I just have to make sure I have enough to last until BT starts releasing aged rye.
    These aren't the ryes you're looking for...

-Ryenobi

=]b
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 08-22-2013 at 18:42.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

You're right, I don't know what I was saying. Those ryes are overwooded and awful, nasty things.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyobsessive View Post
    Whatever is in Michter's 10 (I suspect some of the latter) is close.
    I've been on the lookout for this but need to ask-is all of the 10 year rye the same or are there newer bottlings that contain a different distillate? Should I look for specific barrel/batch numbers?
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

This is a concern of mine as well and I hope someone can answer. All of the Michter's 10 that I have had is from a few years ago and I'm certain that at least a proportion of it was at least 18 years old. However, if a new batch shows up I don't think we will have any way to know what is actually in it. It could be 10 year old rye for close to $100... I don't see it around any more in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    I've been on the lookout for this but need to ask-is all of the 10 year rye the same or are there newer bottlings that contain a different distillate? Should I look for specific barrel/batch numbers?
    I look for batches that have 2 numbers and a letter.. this is by far not definitive but the bottles I have pulled with that combo have been really good.. i also look at price, all of my bottles have been less than $65.00 which from wine-searcher price history puts them before 2007.. again not definitive but has worked for me thus far

Virtuoso

Vintage 23 and any of the single barrel picks from that older batch of barrels.

Advanced Taster

My two co-favorites are the Handy and the Willet 5 year old.

For low proof easy sipper, its pretty hard to beat Pikesville for the taste or price!

Apprentice

Ryemageddon
    Few
    1512 Barbershop

running through them something fierce. tasty.

Advanced Taster

First: Delilah's 15 year old; Slightly more available: THH or Michter's 10yo; Readily Available: Bulliet/Dickel