Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: whats your favourite rye?

Another vote for the Rathskeller here! With a second going to the VWFRR. I am going to try to find a Saz 18 this year as I have never had any. Very curious to see how it ranks on my list of best ryes, I know others like it.

Enthusiast

Although very different from each other, the VWFRR and Saz18 are at the top, with the creamier/woodier Van Winkle my fave.

Honorable mention to RittBIB for cost per enjoyment ratio.

Connoisseur

Black

Maple

Hill

!!!

Virtuoso

Handy and WT101. Wasn't a huge fan of Rye before trying those two (and i realize, very different ends of the value spectrum).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I like the Van Winkle Rye, in fact it's the only Van Winkle I would consider buying, but it's too difficult to obtain to merit a spot on my list.
    Agreed. The VW rye is really good stuff. Others on my list: Pikesville, Rittenhouse, Knob Creek, and Wild Turkey 101 (The 81 proof they make now is DISGUSTING.).
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Guru

My favorite rye is probably Thomas H Handy. In terms of what I can run out and buy on any given day, I second the Willett 4 or 5 yr rye. I also like the Jefferson's 10 yr quite a bit.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

I tried some Michters rye whilst over there and didn't think much of it. It might not have been the 10yr though. I should gave mentioned that the baby saz, Rittenhouse BIB and the double rye from HW are also pretty high on my list of ryes, Never tried the Saz 18. So spoilt for choice over in the USA you guys! Some mentioned id never heard of let alone seen! Whistlepig was there but too rich for my blood! Look forward to trying the VWFRR soon (I hope).

Connoisseur

whats your favourite rye?

Quote Originally Posted by KySalesRep View Post
    Another vote for the Rathskeller here! With a second going to the VWFRR. I am going to try to find a Saz 18 this year as I have never had any. Very curious to see how it ranks on my list of best ryes, I know others like it.
    You will enjoy the Saz 18. I certainly do. As for my favorite all time rye I know only as Doug's Rye and it was 22 years old. Was fortunate enough to try it a few weeks ago. What is Rathskeller? I have never seem that one. Old bottling?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    You will enjoy the Saz 18. I certainly do. As for my favorite all time rye I know only as Doug's Rye and it was 22 years old. Was fortunate enough to try it a few weeks ago. What is Rathskeller? I have never seem that one. Old bottling?
    Rathskeller is a KBD-bottled private label rye done special for the Seelbach hotel in Louisville around 2007. It's rumored to be from the same batches of Bernheim juice that went into the original VWFRR13, LaNells, Iron Fist/Velvet Glove, possibly Doug's, etc. It's 24-year old barrel proof and superb stuff.

Back when it was released, a few stores around Louisville got a couple bottles. You can still sip it at the Seelbach bar.

Connoisseur

whats your favourite rye?

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Rathskeller is a KBD-bottled private label rye done special for the Seelbach hotel in Louisville around 2007. It's rumored to be from the same batches of Bernheim juice that went into the original VWFRR13, LaNells, Iron Fist/Velvet Glove, possibly Doug's, etc. It's 24-year old barrel proof and superb stuff.

Back when it was released, a few stores around Louisville got a couple bottles. You can still sip it at the Seelbach bar.
    Cool thanks. I believe Doug's was also Bernheim. Bottled also by KBD under a Willett label. I will have to check it out next time I'm in Louisville.