Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: whats your favourite rye?

Top of the list has to be Doug's Rye with the green ink. It's just magic.

BUT....I don't have any of that juice so here is my favorite that I could actually pour;

BVWFRR or maybe Saz 18,... but some nights only Handy will do. Then there is the Rathskeller and the Vintage 23 love em as much as the previous three, ....oh and lets not forget the High West 21, that's in a class of it's own ...and I have never regretted a pour of the WT101 or the baby Saz.

Connoisseur

I haven't been able to get it for a while now, but I think all in all WT 101 Rye is still my favorite, although Bulleit, Ritt BIN, and the Willetts are all very good.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    I haven't been able to get it for a while now, but I think all in all WT 101 Rye is still my favorite, although Bulleit, Ritt BIN, and the Willetts are all very good.
    You won't find it in Spec's, but I've seen it in quite a few mom and pop shops in the last few months.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

Handy
    Ritt 21/23/25
    Ritt BIB
    VWFRR

I've had an older Willett rye that was pretty fantastic too. Don't remember the age or the proof

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Top of the list has to be Doug's Rye with the green ink. It's just magic.

BUT....I don't have any of that juice so here is my favorite that I could actually pour;

BVWFRR or maybe Saz 18,... but some nights only Handy will do. Then there is the Rathskeller and the Vintage 23 love em as much as the previous three, ....oh and lets not forget the High West 21, that's in a class of it's own ...and I have never regretted a pour of the WT101 or the baby Saz.
    The reason I have not previously responded to this thread is that I am in the same perplexing quandary as Steve. I'll throw in the young Willett Barrel Proof ryes, too. There really has been, and continues to be, some fine rye whiskey produced. If pushed into a corner, I would have to go with something that is currently in production, just because. Therefore, I would have to pick the TH Handy as my favorite.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

whats your favourite rye?

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    The reason I have not previously responded to this thread is that I am in the same perplexing quandary as Steve. I'll throw in the young Willett Barrel Proof ryes, too. There really has been, and continues to be, some fine rye whiskey produced. If pushed into a corner, I would have to go with something that is currently in production, just because. Therefore, I would have to pick the TH Handy as my favorite.
    I have to second this. Of all ryes that are easily accessible THH is my hands down favorite. I have had better but are impossible or nearly impossible to get. Does anyone think with the rye craze right now that in 10 to 15 years there may be more plentiful and tasty ryes available? I sure hope so.

Connoisseur

FWIW, my top 5 list is:
    BMH23
    Rathskellar
    Willett DC bottling - The Velvet Glove
    Vintage 21
    Willet DC bottling - The Iron Fist

Those are the ones that have really stood out, but rye is what makes this guy happy. Really hard to pick past a certain point, and there are always a few you've never tried. Bitter Truth, LeNell's Red Hook Rye, and BMH15 stand out for me. I'm incredibly grateful though to THH and Rittenhouse BiB for their dollar for dollar bang. I'm actually never more excited than when I'm getting ready for some Handy, cause the Handy makes you dandy!

Guru

The Master Distillers at Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace are on record as saying rye distillation has been increased and there's no reason to think the other majors aren't doing the same.

Advanced Taster

I've tried THH, Saz18, Bulliett and RitBiB, but my favorite by far is Willett's 4 yr.
    Women without whiskey...
    Women without whiskey...
    Whiskey's hard to beat.
    - Drive By Truckers

Advanced Taster

I'm quite keen on all of the BT ryes. I'll buy Baby Saz, Saz 18 or THH whenever I see them. There's always an open bottle of Ritt BIB in my cabinet as well.