Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: whats your favourite rye?

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Oh what the hey, get them both.
    A man speaking to my heart! I was just thinking the same thing. I should be able to get both for around $50. Then I can make up my own mind.

Guru

As suggested, the Ritt may be too close to higher rye bourbons to really appreciate a significant difference. One of the 95% rye barrel proof Willett MGP ryes instead of or in addition to the Ritt and it may provide a better contrast. You can always cut the Willett down with water to say 100 proof and if you don't like it you still aren't out a lot of money and can always feel comfortable using it as a mixer.

WT Rye 101 may have a bit more "ryeness" to it (I don't have enough experience with it to know) but it is still a 51% rye mashbill similar to Rittenhouse, right?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Enthusiast

I believe WT Rye is a 65% rye mashbill (with 23% corn and 12% barley).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    I believe WT Rye is a 65% rye mashbill (with 23% corn and 12% barley).
    Could well be as I don't have any idea. Doesn't match up to the most recent Whiskey Tree though which suggests that the current rye mashbill may be less than what had been reported in the past.

I think there are some posts discussing it somewhere in the Whiskey Tree thread but I can't find them at the moment.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Best ryes on the planet - VWFRR and Saz 18. I LOVE Saz 18, but there is something truly special about the VWFRR....too bad it'll be gone forever soon, and it's already so hard to find, I haven't been able to score a single bottle in almost 2 years. Good luck finding it here in LA.

For always available rye - Rendezvous is just plain wonderful.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by humchan2k View Post
    Best ryes on the planet - VWFRR and Saz 18. I LOVE Saz 18, but there is something truly special about the VWFRR....too bad it'll be gone forever soon, and it's already so hard to find, I haven't been able to score a single bottle in almost 2 years. Good luck finding it here in LA.

For always available rye - Rendezvous is just plain wonderful.
    Since our 2 fav's match, I guess I'm gonna have to get a bottle of Rendezvous
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Enthusiast

Last year, Binny's had a Double Rye and Rendezvous Rye that were aged for 6 months in Manhattan barrels. The Rendezvous was meh, but the Double Rye was magical. All you had to do was drop a cherry in the glass and it was probably the best Manhattan-esque drink in the world. I'm hoping Dave does the same with the Boulevardier barrels. The co-mingling of the Double Rye spice with the sweetness of the Boulevardier would probably be amazing. Knowing Dave, I think its a good possibility.
    Justin

Enthusiast

Of the rye's I've had, I lean towards Ritt BIB, HW Rendezvous, and Whistlepig 10 at the high end. I've yet to have Saz 18 and am not holding my breath on being able to find VWFRR. Another rye I've really enjoyed that doesn't get as much mention is the RR 6 yr.

Disciple

Love all three. The WP @ $79.95 was the most I've ever spent on a bottle of Bourbon or Rye. Can't take the step to try the WP111 @ $110.00.

It is very evident that all the distillers and NDP's have realized there is a lot of profit @ the high end but I expect a lot of my tasting of all of these will be limited to reading everyone's posts.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
    Last year, Binny's had a Double Rye and Rendezvous Rye that were aged for 6 months in Manhattan barrels. The Rendezvous was meh, but the Double Rye was magical. All you had to do was drop a cherry in the glass and it was probably the best Manhattan-esque drink in the world. I'm hoping Dave does the same with the Boulevardier barrels. The co-mingling of the Double Rye spice with the sweetness of the Boulevardier would probably be amazing. Knowing Dave, I think its a good possibility.
    I will second this bottle. Justin brought some by and it was amazing. Fortunately we had a solid supply of cherries and ran through quite a few pours.

As for favorites, I would have to say Vintage 21 for special pour and Jefferson's Canadian for standard pour.