Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first rye

Administrator in exile

My first rye

While at the Liquor Barn tonight I pondered what was to be my next purchase. Would it be a replacement for my recently emptied EC12? Would it be another bottle of Old Charter Classic 90? Would it be another bottle of George T Stagg? By the way, the Liquor Barn now has about 8 bottles sitting on the shelf. After some careful thought I decided to try a rye whiskey. But which to choose? We have Old Overholt at $10.99, Beam at $8.50, WT at $18.99, VW at $19 and $24 and the "Saz" at $42. I was immediately drawn to the 'saz'. I have heard great things about this one. It was also sitting next to all of those bottles of Stagg, which made it even more attractive by association. This was too much money for my first rye though. The real choices were between WT and VW. I opted for the WT since I am familiar with the high quality of their other products and thought this would be a good introduction into the world of the rye. I don't have any tasting notes yet as I need time to aclimate my taste buds to this new sensation. I am beginning to understand better some of those "rye" notes that I am tasting in my bourbons. Lots of spice on the tongue and a 'kick' on the way down. I think I am going to like this one a lot. Instead of tasting 'rye' notes in my bourbon, I am tasting 'bourbon' notes in my rye What do you all think of this one from Wild Turkey? Where should I go from here? Should I bother with the cheaper Bean and Overholt?

Enthusiast

Re: My first rye

Jeff,
    I'd say you made a good choice for your first Rye. My first Ryes included the WT, Old Overholt and Jim Beam Ryes. I enjoyed all of these. Recently, I tried the VW, and nothings been the same since! For my money, nothing beats the Van Winkle Rye. It is superb stuff! Prior to my recent purchase of a bottle of the Saz, which I haven't opened yet, I tried The Saz. Although it is a wonderful Rye, I don't think it's twice as good as the Van Winkle. Definitely give the Van Winkle a try, I think you'll like it!

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree Wild Turkey rye has a good spicy rye taste and a kick.

I'd suggest you buy Old Overholt. Five to ten years ago, although I can't prove it, this was aged more than the indicated 4 years, it was a fabulous whiskey, and the price was simply a steal.

It was rich, spicy, balanced. Recent bottlings seem younger, with more of the characteristic Beam "wild yeast"
    background. But it is still a classic rye.

I'd buy that one next, and keep about half of both for a year. I think you will see each smoothes out a lot..

After they are gone, I'd buy either of the two Van Winkle ryes on the market. They are quite bourbon-leaning ryes, but are superb within the confines of the rye style. They have the true old-fashioned straight whiskey taste, in my opinion.

**DONOTDELETE**

Good for You Jeff! The Wild Turkey is a great choice. Get 'The Saz' and the Van Winkel ryes when your finances permit. I for one don't bother to buy any ryes other than those three.

Virtuoso

I am biased. I've only had one rye - VW 13 yo Family Reserve. It's great and it is not extremely expensive. You've probably read here that, while it is readily available now, it is no longer being produced. Therefore, I'd get a bottle or two to save. I have one open bottle in the liquor cabinet and four unopened bottles in the bourbon (formerly wine) rack in the pantry. My version of the bourbon bunker!

However, I do have a bottle of Old Overholt from my August trip to SC. I bought it based on what I have read here. I haven't opened the Old Overholt yet, mostly because the VW is so damn good, I haven't wanted to try anything else.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

After my own heart! Pile it Deep and High! If you have to leave suddenly, someone will thank you for your forsight! One bottle a Bourbo-Bunker Makes! after a while it takes on a life of it's own . Then it becomes ridiculous.

Disciple

My first rye = Old Overholt

Hey Jeff, I just bought my first rye too, just in my case it was said Old Overholt. . . .it is worth the entry price, It is a very workmanlike drink and the 80 proofage leaves it a little weak but I have enjoyed it so far (its the only rye available to me till I plan another trip to KY, so I am glad I like it!). I am sure the WT rye is better, but I would say - Give this one a shot!

TomC

Virtuoso

I am about to redo my will. I may just have to make a new entry into it for the mini-bourbon bunker.

Ok, people, start sucking up to me!

Have been told that storing wine on its side is ok, but spirits should be kept vertical. Don't know if this makes sense but info was from a pretty smart guy

Advanced Taster

Jeff, the only ryes I've had so far are the Jim Beam and Wild Turkey varieties. The Jim Beam rye, from what I remember, was light and floral, almost delicate. Compared to JB, Wild Turkey packed a punch (but not just because of the higher proof). It seemed to be much more complex and full-flavored (I'm assuming WT has a greater percentage of rye than JB).

Anyway, I thought JB was a good, albeit mild introduction to rye whiskey but I was taken away with WT's rye. I wish there was more of it in this area.

-Troy