Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Taster

Re: Weller 12 with Embossed Wheat Symbol

Since I am kind of getting called out on this I will put-forth my theory (at least the theory I follow) on the embossed glass Weller 12. The W12's that came out right after the paper label were in the current style bottle but had wheat stalks embossed on the front of the bottle. Shortly after that the wheat stalks disappeared and were not seen again. Today the bottle has a smooth front surface. All of this pertains to the 750ml size. I have noticed that some of the 1lt. and 1.75lt can still carry the embossed glass. My theory is that most of the glass with markings signifying the possible date it was made is closer to being "right on" for the 750ml size of at least the Weller line. I have come across many 375ml that have had 00 on the glass but a undisputed digital laser date on them showing 2006. Same for some of the 1.75Ml bottles. I once brought home several 1.75's of what was supposed to be 2004 OWA (the 04 on the glass) and turned out to actually be 2005's according to the laser dates. All in all I feel that the better of the W12's after the paper label ones (which most were SW) are the ones right after the paper label went away. My personal preference is for the embossed glass W12 (750) over any of the current W12.

Guru

My theory is they decided not to pay extra for wheaties on the next bottle run.

Guru

I wasn't trying to call anyone out (more than a couple have told me the same story) it's just that I never have managed to get the full scoop. Now I feel better having heard the preface. Thanks Ed!
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

That's funny! I asked the exact same question: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ottle-Question
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Advanced Taster

I have a couple bottles of W12--one embossed and one without. And i have to say, right next to each other, the embossed one juice appears to be a little darker.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdc View Post
    I have a couple bottles of W12--one embossed and one without. And i have to say, right next to each other, the embossed one juice appears to be a little darker.
    The embossed (750) I saw recently on a store shelf was noticeably darker than the one without. Brought her home and I gotta say it's the best W 12 I've had since the Binny's 12 that was really 14. My last few W 12s have been disappointing with a thinness and sour wood bitterness on the end but this one is terrific and does not need the help of any OWA.
    Last edited by T Comp; 06-22-2013 at 07:31.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011