Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

Shipping bourbon

Going on a trip to Louisville and planning on hitting some distilleries. Planning on picking up a few bottles and would rather not have to check them considering the cost of an extra bag these days. Have any of you folks shipped your purchases back home after visiting bourbon country? Any issues with it?

Disciple

Shipping bourbon

You are allowed to take 5 L of alcohol in a suitcase. The fee for an extra checked bag and the cost for shipping that much alcohol are pretty comparable. I wouldn't rule out flying with it. Well-packed box inside a duffel bag for the second bag, so you don't have to check it on the way out?
    Jim

Enthusiast

Re: Shipping bourbon

Doesn't a bag cost like $25? Depending on how many bottles you're thinking about picking up, could potentially be cheaper than shipping.

You can always put a small suitcase in a large one on the way there, then you have an extra case to pack with whiskey on your way home yet only 1 way cost for that extra bag.

Enthusiast

Post Re: Shipping bourbon

Also these are really handy for shipping in a suitcase

Connoisseur

go pick up a styrofoam wine shipper and pack your bottles in there on the way home

can take up to 5L and nothing over 140 proof (no stagg!)

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    go pick up a styrofoam wine shipper and pack your bottles in there on the way home

Am taking a trip to Cinti for a graduation and will drop by TPS.
    TSA rule is 5Litre per person, will that mean 6 750ml will be accepted or will a TSA agent axe a bottle without bothering to do the math?
    Mark
    "...that we here highly resolve that these empty bottles shall not have been drunk in vain..."

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post

I was determined to take a bottle of Stagg home over Christmas to share with my family and didn't realize the proof restriction until I already checked my bags (mine was 142 proof I believe). Fortunately, I was lucky and got to introduce my family to one of my favorite bourbons.

Enthusiast

The real answer to your question is that KY law prohibits the shipment of spirits in or out of the state. Period

That said, my "favorite Whiskey mule" lives in KY and lets just say not all formalities are always observed.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Advanced Taster

I'll be leaving Louisville and going to NYC before heading home, so was thinking it would just be easier to ship that drag it around. Also was thinking maybe I'll find more than 5 or 6 bottles I want to bring home

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bjhowell View Post
    I'll be leaving Louisville and going to NYC before heading home, so was thinking it would just be easier to ship that drag it around. Also was thinking maybe I'll find more than 5 or 6 bottles I want to bring home
    Well if you're going to ship make sure it's legal in your state. Not all of them allow out of state liquor shipments. Though I'm not saying that's impossible to get around.

Also, it's against the law to ship liquid via USPS so you can't use them regardless.