Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Shipping bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    I flew with 7 and was left alone. Others have flown with more. I assume that at the very least the TSA is well aware that most booze is in 750ml bottles.
    I brought about 14 bottles home scattered among 2 bags from a trip to England last year (some of it was 750 ml bottles of beer which they seem to care even less about) and nobody bothered it. If it isn't likely to blow up they don't seem to check that often. Unless maybe the screener gets thirsty...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

Shipping bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I brought about 14 bottles home scattered among 2 bags from a trip to England last year (some of it was 750 ml bottles of beer which they seem to care even less about) and nobody bothered it. If it isn't likely to blow up they don't seem to check that often. Unless maybe the screener gets thirsty...
    Beer and wine don't count toward the 5L. That rule is for high ABV drinks only. I will say that on the way TO Sampler, my bag (containing a few bottles) was searched and so was at least one other member's. On the way back, my bag was not searched. I'm sure L'ville TSA folks are very accustomed to seeing bourbon in luggage.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I had 6 bottles flying home with me after my trip last year and my checked bag went missing for a week and a half because it was "flagged" by TSA. I eventually got everything back (including 3 bottles of 17 year Four Roses), but it's made me wary of trying it again...or asking others to mule for me.

Disciple

Shipping bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Manthey View Post
    I had 6 bottles flying home with me after my trip last year and my checked bag went missing for a week and a half because it was "flagged" by TSA. I eventually got everything back (including 3 bottles of 17 year Four Roses), but it's made me wary of trying it again...or asking others to mule for me.
    That's ridiculous! 6 bottles is under the limit. Glad you got them back, at least.
    Jim

Enthusiast

Wow, I guess I was lucky. I had no idea about the TSA 5 liter maximum. I flew home with 13 750ml bottles in one box last month. Oops.

Fyi, wine shippers are mostly worthless when whisky bottles come in all shapes and sizes. Rotund VOB doesn't fit, squared Larceny doesn't fit, wide JPS17/18 doesn't fit... Skip the styrofoam and use a box or suitcase with clothes or bubble wrap.
    Last edited by DBM; 05-31-2013 at 01:07.

Advanced Taster

Shipping bourbon

Southwest still allows 2 checked bags free

Bubble wrap and wrapping in cloths work fine. Wine sleeves for narrow bottles works well too. 4 17 yr old FRSB went home in wine sleeves

Advanced Taster

I came home from Scotland with 9 bottles packed in a double-box with peanuts in between the two boxes and had no issues - but it was a direct London to Boston flight. I declared it all at customs and was waived through with no extra duty to pay - ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    go pick up a styrofoam wine shipper and pack your bottles in there on the way home

can take up to 5L and nothing over 140 proof (no stagg!)
    I was determined to take a bottle of Stagg home over Christmas to share with my family and didn't realize the proof restriction until I already checked my bags (mine was 142 proof I believe). Fortunately, I was lucky and got to introduce my family to one of my favorite bourbons.

Enthusiast

The real answer to your question is that KY law prohibits the shipment of spirits in or out of the state. Period

That said, my "favorite Whiskey mule" lives in KY and lets just say not all formalities are always observed.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."