Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Chinese firewater

It's a pleasure to find myself in such refined company.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Gotta be better than licking cat's @$$...
    I wouldn't bet on that.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Virtuoso

I tasted some Chinese liquor when visiting Beijing. It was the equivalent of $1.50 for a fifth (for comparison, a can of Guiness was $.25 I think). Smelled like acetone. Tasted awful, one sip led to an immediate headache. We entertained ourselves by pouring it in the toilet bowl (yes, it was a very Western hotel) and lighting it on fire. It left a sooty, oily sheen on the water and smelled like a chemical plant fire.

I wouldn't recommend it for drinking but it might make for a good accelerant.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Ye Gods, those folks must be hard up for something decent to drink.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    I tasted some Chinese liquor when visiting Beijing. It was the equivalent of $1.50 for a fifth (for comparison, a can of Guiness was $.25 I think). Smelled like acetone. Tasted awful, one sip led to an immediate headache. We entertained ourselves by pouring it in the toilet bowl (yes, it was a very Western hotel) and lighting it on fire. It left a sooty, oily sheen on the water and smelled like a chemical plant fire.

I wouldn't recommend it for drinking but it might make for a good accelerant.
    Well that settles it. I have been looking for a new solvent for cleaning my guns.
    He made himself another drink and thought how much better the Perrier was than anything else you could put in whisky... Hemingway

Guru

Chinese firewater

It is horrid stuff
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

I've had decent Baiju (can't say as any has been especially good), bad baiju and horrid baiju. I thought this post from a couple of days was interesting in that Baiju producers are looking to go global and that Baiju is now the most consumed spirit in the world. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3351491.html Additionally Diageo is in the Baiju business so look for it on shelves near you soon. http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/20...g-fang-baijiu/ - notice the price point for 500ml bottle, almost 100 pounds! Ill sacrifice and let someone buy those bottles.