I was trying to figure out who the current owners of the Charles Medley Distillery are (looks like it is still owned by CL Financial, the parent company of Angostura) when I cam across this page that kind of makes it sound like Sazerac owns the Charles Medley Distillery.

After a bunch of digging, I think that whoever put that page together pulled the information from the Medley timeline that Mike Veach made, but mixed together information from two different distilleries that the Medley family owned.

The Sazerac page mentions the Daviess County Distillery which was purchased by the Medleys in 1901. In the next paragraph they say the distillery was purchased by Abraham Schecter in 1978, acquired by Glenmore in 1988, acquired by United Distillers in 1991, and sold to Sazerac in 2009.

But the Medley Family owned quite a few distilleries, so the timeline gets a little confusing. I'm pretty sure the Daviess County Distillery was owned by the Medleys from 1901 to 1940, and was then sold to Fleishmann's, who owned it until they were bought by Glenmore in 1989. In 1991 Glenmore was bought by United Distillers. In 1995 Barton Brands bought the old Daviess County Distillery, the old Glenmore Distillery, and many of the brands that had been owned by the Glenmore Distilling Company. Barton Brands eventually became Constellation Spirits before being purchased by Sazerac in 2009.

It looks like the old Green River Distillery was purchased by the Medleys in 1940 (they changed the name to Medley Distillery) and they sold it to Renfield importers in 1959, but the Medleys continued to run the distillery after they sold it. Charles Medley (son of one of the Medley brothers who used to own the distillery) became the master distiller in 1969. It was then sold to Abraham Schecter in 1978. The distillery closed in 1987, then was bought by Glenmore in 1988 and reopened. Glenmore was purchased by United Distillers in 1991. The distillery was closed in 1992, then purchased by Charles Medley in 1995 along with existing whiskey stocks (he changed the name to Charles Medley Distillery). In 2007 Charles sold the distillery to Angostura. Their plans to reopen the distillery ended in 2009 when their parent company, CL Financial had a liquidity crisis. They still own the distillery but are trying to sell it.

So, am I correct that the Sazerac page I linked to above blends together the histories of the old Daviess County Distillery and the old Green River Distillery, and that it is the former not the latter which is currently owned by Sazerac? Hopefully Chuck will chime in here, he seems to be pretty authoritative on these things.