Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Medley Distillery question for the historians

I was trying to figure out who the current owners of the Charles Medley Distillery are (looks like it is still owned by CL Financial, the parent company of Angostura) when I cam across this page that kind of makes it sound like Sazerac owns the Charles Medley Distillery.

After a bunch of digging, I think that whoever put that page together pulled the information from the Medley timeline that Mike Veach made, but mixed together information from two different distilleries that the Medley family owned.

The Sazerac page mentions the Daviess County Distillery which was purchased by the Medleys in 1901. In the next paragraph they say the distillery was purchased by Abraham Schecter in 1978, acquired by Glenmore in 1988, acquired by United Distillers in 1991, and sold to Sazerac in 2009.

But the Medley Family owned quite a few distilleries, so the timeline gets a little confusing. I'm pretty sure the Daviess County Distillery was owned by the Medleys from 1901 to 1940, and was then sold to Fleishmann's, who owned it until they were bought by Glenmore in 1989. In 1991 Glenmore was bought by United Distillers. In 1995 Barton Brands bought the old Daviess County Distillery, the old Glenmore Distillery, and many of the brands that had been owned by the Glenmore Distilling Company. Barton Brands eventually became Constellation Spirits before being purchased by Sazerac in 2009.

It looks like the old Green River Distillery was purchased by the Medleys in 1940 (they changed the name to Medley Distillery) and they sold it to Renfield importers in 1959, but the Medleys continued to run the distillery after they sold it. Charles Medley (son of one of the Medley brothers who used to own the distillery) became the master distiller in 1969. It was then sold to Abraham Schecter in 1978. The distillery closed in 1987, then was bought by Glenmore in 1988 and reopened. Glenmore was purchased by United Distillers in 1991. The distillery was closed in 1992, then purchased by Charles Medley in 1995 along with existing whiskey stocks (he changed the name to Charles Medley Distillery). In 2007 Charles sold the distillery to Angostura. Their plans to reopen the distillery ended in 2009 when their parent company, CL Financial had a liquidity crisis. They still own the distillery but are trying to sell it.

So, am I correct that the Sazerac page I linked to above blends together the histories of the old Daviess County Distillery and the old Green River Distillery, and that it is the former not the latter which is currently owned by Sazerac? Hopefully Chuck will chime in here, he seems to be pretty authoritative on these things.

Disciple

Re: Medley Distillery question for the historians

Curious about this myself. I was near Owensboro for Memorial Day Weekend, and wanted to drive by but didn't make it.

Connoisseur

I think your confusion here is that Sazerac owens the old Glenmore Distillery that was built by M.V. Monarch in the 1890s and bought by James thompson and Bro. in 1899 or 1900. The Davies county ditillery, that became Fleischman was located adjacent to the Green River/Medley distillery on the other side of town from Glenmore. Glenmore purchased the Fleischman brands, but the distillery was closed by that time and I am not sure that Glenmore ever owned the property where it stood.

Mike Veach

Taster

Thanks for chiming in Mike. The Sazerac website actually has has separate pages for Medley and Glenmore:
    http://www.sazerac.com/glenmore.aspx
    http://www.sazerac.com/medley.aspx
    so it sounds like they bought both properties in 2009. They mention the bottling line at Glenmore, but don't say what they are doing with the other property (assuming it is the old Daviess County Distillery), maybe warehousing?

I emailed the PR contact listed on the Saz website yesterday asking them to clear up the confusion. I'll post any info here that I get from them.

mp

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Curious about this myself. I was near Owensboro for Memorial Day Weekend, and wanted to drive by but didn't make it.
    image.jpg

Empty parking lot with some other small company still using the property.
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by KyFriedChicken View Post
    image.jpg

Empty parking lot with some other small company still using the property.
    Well, I'm glad I didn't make the drive.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by VT Mike View Post
    Thanks for chiming in Mike. The Sazerac website actually has has separate pages for Medley and Glenmore:
    http://www.sazerac.com/glenmore.aspx
    http://www.sazerac.com/medley.aspx
    so it sounds like they bought both properties in 2009. They mention the bottling line at Glenmore, but don't say what they are doing with the other property (assuming it is the old Daviess County Distillery), maybe warehousing?

I emailed the PR contact listed on the Saz website yesterday asking them to clear up the confusion. I'll post any info here that I get from them.

mp
    This is interesting. Based on how Sazerac words it, sure seems they own the Medley distillery property too or did they just buy the name. I find it strange that they don't have a Sazerac sign up by now and still the old one as KyFriedchicken's photo shows.

And for those following along who don't know...the Glenmore facility is at 2001 E. 4th Street, Owensboro and Medley is at 10 Distillery Rd., Owensboro.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Well, I'm glad I didn't make the drive.
    I found 2 Ritt 23s at a shop close by so it was well worth my trip that day. Probably my favorite rye I have tasted. Grabbed an Old Medley while I was there too. They had boxes of Old Medley just sitting on the floor.
    I'm not an expert but I have lots of opinions!

Connoisseur

I think the 2009 date refers to Sazerac purchasing Barton who owned some of the Medley brands, and not the distillery. The Medley distillery is still up for sale last I heard. It is a shame that it never re-opened because it is good distillery that made excellent whiskey. It is rich in heritage and could be a real showplace on the bourbon trail.

Mike Veach

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonv View Post
    I think the 2009 date refers to Sazerac purchasing Barton who owned some of the Medley brands, and not the distillery. The Medley distillery is still up for sale last I heard. It is a shame that it never re-opened because it is good distillery that made excellent whiskey. It is rich in heritage and could be a real showplace on the bourbon trail.

Mike Veach
    I think the same Mike but this specific language by Sazerac referencing the distillery is...well... I guess like many bourbon labels and a bit misleading .

"The distillery went through several ownership changes from 1978 through today. In 1978, the Abraham Schecter family of Chicago purchased Medley, then just ten years later, it was acquired by the Glenmore Distillery. Then in 1991, it was acquired by United Distillers eventually joining the Sazerac Company in 2009."
    Thad

BTOTY-2011