Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Medley Distillery question for the historians

Distillers often create the illusion of a distillery that does not exist through DBAs. The prime example is that Chris Morris was given a business card listing him as the "Master Distiller of the Rebel Yell Distillery" by United Distillers in the 1990s. The distillery existed only on paper.

Mike Veach

Taster

I got an email back from the Sazerac PR contact, she said their historian was researching the information and they would let me know what they find out. I'll be sure to post when I hear more.

Guru

Thanks Mike . . . . .

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

That's pretty funny, actually. The Sazerac write-up is simply wrong unless you strictly equate 'the company' with 'the business,' and exclude the physical plant. The chain of ownership they describe is true up to the last few words. It omits the fact that United (Diageo now) sold the business (i.e., the brands) to Constellation and Luxco and the physical plant back to Charles Medley, who eventually sold it to the secretive Trinidadians who still own it. All Sazerac acquired of the Medley 'business' was the part Constellation still owned. Luxco still owns the Medley Company's leading bourbon, Ezra Brooks, for example. But Sazerac got all of the Chi-Chi's pre-mixed cocktails, which is probably a lot more valuable. (To be 100% accurate, the Chi-Chi's were never part of Medley. That was Glenmore's business.)

The Medley site is inactive except for the former finished goods warehouse, which was sold at some point (probably by Charles) to another company and is no longer part of the distillery property.

As in the animal kingdom, bigger companies eat smaller ones. In fairly rapid succession, Medley bought Fleischmann, Glenmore bought Medley, and United bought Glenmore and Schenley, then Grand Metropolitan, to become Diageo. Diageo today contains the DNA of something like 50 acquired companies going back hundreds of years.
    Last edited by cowdery; 06-08-2013 at 13:35.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Diageo today contains the DNA of something like 50 acquired companies going back hundreds of years.
    That would make a very interesting family tree poster. Maybe something for a new Cowdery book?
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies

Virtuoso

So ... who is distilling current Old Medley 12 yr and Ezra Brooks 12 yr/ 15yr? Or is that only speculating as Luxco doesn't reveal its source? Did Sazerac acquire the Old Medley brand? Wow is this confusing. Don't know how you guys keep it all straight...
    Mark

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    So ... who is distilling current Old Medley 12 yr and Ezra Brooks 12 yr/ 15yr? Or is that only speculating as Luxco doesn't reveal its source? Did Sazerac acquire the Old Medley brand? Wow is this confusing.

You're right, any answer would be speculative. I can't comment on the Old Medley, but the general consensus here is that EB is HH juice.
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Guru

HH I suspect but don't really care so long as it's reasonably priced.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Suspicion leans toward Heaven Hill because they have a past, disclosed history with Luxco, but that was years ago, things change, and Luxco may also buy from other sources.

Guru

Last Ezra B I had tasted kinda Old Forestery.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog