Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Taster

Re: Medley Distillery question for the historians

I got an email from the Sazerac PR person about three weeks ago letting me know that they had researched the information with the help of two outside historians and made changes to their writeup. At that time the website hadn't been updated, but they told me that would be happening soon. I just checked back and it has been changed.

They left most of it alone, and it still inaccurately blends together the histories of the Daviess County Distillery and the Green River Distillery, then at the end it basically says that Sazerac bought a bunch of brands that used to be owned by the Medley Distilling Company.

Oh well, I hope they didn't spend too much money on the outside historians.

The original version:

The Medley Distilling Company traces its roots back to 1634 when John Medley immigrated to Maryland from England and established Medley's Neck on the banks of the Potomac River. Included in the items brought over from England was the family still.

Over 150 years later, John Medley VI joined the throngs of settlers traveling west, through the Cumberland Gap and settled in Washington County, Kentucky. The family still from England also accompanied him on his journey; leading to the founding of the Medley Distillery in 1812. In 1901, Medley purchased a Distillery known as the Daviess County Distillery. This company survived Prohibition by selling bonded whiskey to the American Medicinal Spirits Company.

The distillery went through several ownership changes from 1978 through today. In 1978, the Abraham Schecter family of Chicago purchased Medley, then just ten years later, it was acquired by the Glenmore Distillery. Then in 1991, it was acquired by United Distillers eventually joining the Sazerac Company in 2009.

and the revised version:

The Medley Distilling Company traces its roots back to 1634 when John Medley immigrated to Maryland from England and established Medley's Neck on the banks of the Potomac River. Included in the items brought over from England was the family still.

Over 150 years later, John Medley VI joined the throngs of settlers traveling west, through the Cumberland Gap and settled in Washington County, Kentucky. The family still from England also accompanied him on his journey; leading to the founding of the Medley Distillery in 1812. In 1901, Medley purchased a Distillery known as the Daviess County Distillery. This company survived Prohibition by selling bonded whiskey to the American Medicinal Spirits Company.

The distillery went through several ownership changes from 1978 through today. In 1978, the Abraham Schecter family of Chicago purchased Medley, then just ten years later, it was acquired by the Glenmore Distillery. The distillery again changed hands in 1991 when it was acquired by United Distillers and was in turn closed in 1992. It has changed ownership since 1991 but remains closed today. The Medley brands that were produced at the distillery have been sold to various distilling companies, including the Sazerac Company.

Guru

I'm betting Mike Veach wasn't one of the consultants.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I'm betting Mike Veach wasn't one of the consultants.
    My feeling as well, same goes for Chuck.