Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2013

Just enjoying a pleasant drop of Blanton's Original Private Reserve Bourbon with a spoon of water.
    Wondering what you other antipodeans might be imbibing in...

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2013

Enjoyed several pours of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey last night.

Enthusiast

Friday night at Barranows. Enjoyed a number of Old Fashioneds. They either used MM or Woodfords.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Stones View Post
    Just enjoying a pleasant drop of Blanton's Original Private Reserve Bourbon with a spoon of water.
    Wondering what you other antipodeans might be imbibing in...
    Exactly the same last night minus the water (had a pour of OGD114 first)

Hey camduncan was the bernheim sourced locally? I know Dans are going to stock it but the online status is still "coming soon"

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    Exactly the same last night minus the water (had a pour of OGD114 first)

Hey camduncan was the bernheim sourced locally? I know Dans are going to stock it but the online status is still "coming soon"
    Keen on your thoughts on it also.

Last night i had some RR90 and a small pour of Pappy 15. Its running out though

I see Dan's changed the status from 'comming soon' to 'new' today. I picked my Bernheim bottles up in New Zealand a few years ago - am down to the last few pours of my open bottle and have one spare in the cupboard. Now that it's available locally, I'll enjoy this as a semi-regular pour. It's a light easy drinking whiskey. Reminds me a bit of Crown Royal easy drinking if that helps....

Started out last night with some Old Granddad, followed by a pour of 90's Beam Black 8yo and finished with a Makers Old Fashioned with dinner.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Andre28 View Post
    Keen on your thoughts on it also.

Last night i had some RR90 and a small pour of Pappy 15. Its running out though
    More impressed with the blantons this time round, last bottle I had was nearly two years ago and at the time it felt a little one dimensional, this time round it hit just the right notes for me, I last had it in a head to head with a FR single barrel and in comparison the FR was much sweeter, almost overpowering in a way I hadn't noticed before when drinking it alone, the blantons was much dryer whilst still maintaining a good amount of stone fruit sweetness up front -i can only imagine there is a lot more rye in the blantons, which is my preffered style, I will definitely be picking up another bottle

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    I see Dan's changed the status from 'comming soon' to 'new' today. I picked my Bernheim bottles up in New Zealand a few years ago - am down to the last few pours of my open bottle and have one spare in the cupboard. Now that it's available locally, I'll enjoy this as a semi-regular pour. It's a light easy drinking whiskey. Reminds me a bit of Crown Royal easy drinking if that helps....
    Great I will definitely be picking up a bottle ASAP, trying new whiskey is the closest thing available to being a kid at christmas again!
    I dont see myself falling in love with it and the comparison to CR confirms my expectations, but hey it aint going to go to waste thats for sure

Last night saw me sitting by a roaring fire, footy on in the background sipping an OGD old fashioned with osso bucco for dinner then settled in with a couple generous pours of WT101 rye

EDIT: The rye must have been generous because the nighcap dram of Talisker 10yr completely slipped my mind!
    Last edited by onemorepour; 06-08-2013 at 20:50.

Had some Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 followed by a barrel select Barton's 1792 and finished with another pour of Bernheim. An amazing range tonight if I do say so

Enthusiast

Post Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2013

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    Had some Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 followed by a barrel select Barton's 1792 and finished with another pour of Bernheim. An amazing range tonight if I do say so
    Yeh you can say that again! The 1792 is a whiskey im prettty keen to get my hands on, i have found a NZ store that will ship to OZ and the price is good (minus the customs gauntlet run), those kiwis seem to have a superior bourbon range than us, and they seem to generally get the full proof versions, lucky bastards.

Tonight is a cheeky sip of ORVW 10/107 thanks to camduncan, my stock is officially running low now