Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Vietish View Post
    Just had a quick look at the Dan Murphys site and nearly spat out a mouthful of coke all over the key board. I love how they are increasing the selection of bourbon on there, but their prices for anything Pappy......its kills me.
    Yeh its stupid!! As far as I am aware there is only one distributor of PVW in Oz and I had a chat with him at his store about a year ago while buying a bottle for $80 less than dan has it, he confirmed that Nicks get their stock through him as well, adding another $50 to the price, the way he told it he had a good relationship with Julian VW going back a few years. Either dans have muscled in on him and are taking the piss with their markup knowing the current hype, or they are buying through the distributor and charging a handling fee larger than Nicks, either way its a scumbag move.

Edit: talking about the 20yr - didnt realise they had others, holy crap!! Those prices!
    Last edited by onemorepour; 08-01-2013 at 01:24.

Just got back from the US. MY friend helped me out with carrying duties, so the haul consists of

Old Forrester Birthday
    Makers 46
    Weller 12
    Bulleit 10 year
    Four Roses Single Barrel

and for good measure, a Coffee Patron.

Will take a super long time before I even open most of these, let alone finish them, but at the prices I got them for, it would be silly not to buy them!

and holy crap at those Pappy prices at Dans. I paid $180 for the 15 from a seller in Melbourne last year (not Nicks, the other whose name escapes me at the moment)

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Andre28 View Post
    and holy crap at those Pappy prices at Dans. I paid $180 for the 15 from a seller in Melbourne last year (not Nicks, the other whose name escapes me at the moment)
    Was it Burwood's? $180 is still pricey I guess but its better than paying $100 more for it at DM's!

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Dans also has Parkers heritage collection at a reasonable price (I think), but beware, all the bottles they had in Adelaide had no seals even though the picture on the website clearly shows a seal. Make sure when ordering online that the bottles have seals. I still bought mine and I don't regret it, a very complex bourbon. I spent an hour on the phone blasting Dans yesterday, trying to get a price match on the PVW15 from Nicks but they refused because of the 10km loophole, but if its online only, and cant be purchased in a store, that should negate the fact that Nicks is in Vic and im in Adelaide! Im sure Dans is shafting its loyal customers, and I told them so. Only 11 bottles of the 15 are in the country by the way (as of yesterday), but too rich for my blood!

yeah that was it. $180 was indeed pricey but I guess I couldnt control for myself. At $280 though I have found much much more restraint!

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

As far as I know, Dan's are getting their product through Southtrade who have the wholesale rights to the BT direct products (not Blantons etc)... My understanding is they're getting very limited supply of Pappy via BT, but that Ian at Burwood Cellars still has a direct agreement with Julian, so will continue to get product.

It wouldn't surprise me that southtrade put the pappy line up for tender to all the major liquor stores to see who will pay the most to stock it! Its unbelievable the price increase over the period of 4 months since it last was on the shelves. A few stores used to have it at $190, fassina and PALS here in Adelaide, but it obviously sold too quickly! So maybe its southtrade that bumped the price not Dans! didn't stop me from giving them a serve however!!

....On another matter, has anyone else here tried the PHC? Interested to hear your thoughts. I found it to be very complex, with a lot of flavours competing with each other. That's not a criticism though, certainly the rye and wheat together make it very interesting, but also very balanced. Its certainly the best bourbon ive tried in this price range, and with this higher proof, and ive tried a few. I wonder if this is similar to what a good four grain tastes like? I admit I had to dilute it with a splash of water to enjoy the flavours a bit more.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I'm hoping to get a bottle or two, but have a few other orders on the go that I need to sort out first...... Hopefully it'll still be around by then Your taste notes certainly got me interested!