Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: A Tour De Force Article Scientifically Analyzing Circa-1900 Mackinlay Scotch Whis

Actually if I am not mistaken, I think Tom and Barb had a bottle of the recreation made of this whisky by the distillery. I remember thinking it was a good lighter malt of today but feeling puzzled it didn't taste "historical". Now I see that really was the taste, as this article makes clear. I looked at Michael Jackson's late 1980's World Guide To Whisky and he mentions that the main malt made at the distillery today is Isle of Jura, a well-known lighter Hebrides malt. Jackson said (1987) that Jura was 8 years old and only lightly peaty with flowery and rounded notes - very similar to the findings of the researchers who e.g., pegged the age as between 5 and 10 but probably closer to 10. The only difference seems to be the slight feinty taste. If I had some Jura here, I'd add some drops of any new make spirit to try to get closer to that circa-1900 palate.

Gary

Guru

Re: A Tour De Force Article Scientifically Analyzing Circa-1900 Mackinlay Scotch Whis

We had Jura here for a few years and Jackson's take was spot on.

Squire, you can probably buy that book online for very little and if you don't know it, I highly advise it.

Although I've read thousands of pages by now of whiskey history and lore, that book is the best single source of technical information and social and cultural history on the world's whiskies I have ever read. The only part that is somewhat dated are some of the tasting notes under the pictured labels, but even then if you read them with the appropriate qualifiers, most of it still applies. E.g., the standard Jura is now 10 years old, not eight, but his taste description is as applicable today as it was in the late 80's and by logical application, 1900.

The long essay-chapters remain virtually pristine, the only real change is ownership of some distilleries has changed, and a few in American closed, e.g. Medley's, but even that doesn't matter since many here remember the whiskeys or tasted them in dusty form. It's The World Guide To Whisky by Michael Jackson, published in 1987 by Dorling Kindersley in the U.K. (still a very active and reputed drinks and food publisher). His first words in the U.S. chapter: "In the land of conspicuous consumption, there is a reminder of drink on every other poster or page, yet there remains a peculiar ambivalence about it".

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 06-02-2013 at 05:03.

Guru

Yes Gary, I've owned the book since it was published and recommend it highly.

Excellent!

Gary

Guru

Thanks for sharing this, Gary! I saw the TV special on this and thought it was fascinating.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

You're right - while the science is sophisticated (and there are parts I am lost in), this document makes it very approachable. I wonder if Sazerac/BT is doing something similar with their Single Oak project?
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins