Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

The worst Scotch ad ever.

The Dewar's "All Hail to the Drinking Man" campaign was already stupid, but it just got a whole lot stupider.

This ad makes "Give 'Em the Bird" seem witty. Meet the Baron.

http://youtu.be/LYgoVM4krao
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Re: The worst Scotch ad ever.

That is well and truly horrible.

Enthusiast

Problem is that each viewing of the ad gives them even more brand recognition.

Unless one makes a conscious decision NEVER to buy a bottle the memory of why you hated the ad will fade and the brand name will remain ... THAT is what the ad people want. To me, ignoring the ad is more effective than putting it all over the internet so more people click through.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    Problem is that each viewing of the ad gives them even more brand recognition.

Unless one makes a conscious decision NEVER to buy a bottle the memory of why you hated the ad will fade and the brand name will remain ... THAT is what the ad people want. To me, ignoring the ad is more effective than putting it all over the internet so more people click through.
    I'm pretty sure most everybody in the US who drinks whisky recognizes Dewar's.

If we as consumers find an ad offensive, we need to communicate that to the company. Simply ignoring it means they will just keep on doing what they are doing. There is such a thing as bad publicity.

Canadian Whisky Blogger Johanne McInnis has a petition going here http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/s...-advertisement
    Last edited by Josh; 12-10-2013 at 05:37.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The Dewar's "All Hail to the Drinking Man" campaign was already stupid, but it just got a whole lot stupider.

This ad makes "Give 'Em the Bird" seem witty. Meet the Baron.

http://youtu.be/LYgoVM4krao
    I think the "All Hail to the Drinking Man" commercials are great. Well, Claire Forlani is great...and by great, I mean gorgeous. The rest of the commercial is pretty dumb, actually. Real dumb. Ok, Josh, I see your point. You win.

The lonely stranger "Give Em the Bird" commercials are pretty bad too, though.
    Justin

Trippah and Admin

I'm starting an online petition to stop all online petitions.

My outrage is being held in reserve for future use, whiskey bloggers needs be damned.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

I don't mind the commercial. It doesn't override my informed consumer status, so I won't be ordering Dewar's. However, this ad would be effective if I was not a whiskey drinker, but I was looking to start drinking whiskey. It appeals to my love of adventure, the nightlife, and my desire for a mildly smarmy wingman with a taste for British autos and hefty blondes.

Seriously, what exactly don't you like about the ad? I can relate to this one more than your average Coors commercial where a band of bros are building a beautiful log cabin in some secluded sun kissed vale in the Rocky Mountains.

Guru

I'm not big on online petitions either, but I think her bit at the top of the petition page lays out her objections pretty well. Those are mine as well. Referring to the "hefty blonde" as a "hand grenade" is the most objectionable part.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    That is well and truly horrible.
    Well, the car is nice! Forlani ain't bad either. Ya gotta love a woman and can sneer and still be sexy.

Still, playing it for droll humor is a tricky business and often doesn't work. It certainly won't appeal to everybody! I am guessing for example that the female demographic really isn't there target...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. On the other hand, the blonde man is clearly the worst type of person. Always in trouble, a weakling, and unable to handle himself. Even when he finds a woman that he finds unattractive approaching him in a sexually aggressive way, he visibly recoils. The commercial puts the viewer in his shoes, and leads him to aspire to the more admirable behavior of the Baron.

The Baron is strong, capable, and well-prepared. He treats all women with respect, and aside from his poor choice in friends, seems to be an decent gentleman.