Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Do SBers Stock Up on Value Bourbons?

Every time I walk by a four roses yellow for $13, I ask myself this question. Most threads about showing our stocks on this site seem focused toward the premium or limited edition stuff (which is fine). Considering that all Bourbons are limited edition given a long enough timeline, though, I just wonder why we don't stock up on the good cheap stuff while we can. Or, I wonder if we are all secretly stocking up on this good cheap stuff and I just don't know about it.

In any case, no judgment either way; I can think of a lot of good reasons for stocking up on values or not stocking up on values. Just curious: do you stock up on values?
    Last edited by CoMobourbon; 07-02-2013 at 12:29.
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut

Guru

Re: Do SBers Stock Up on Value Bourbons?

I don't need a reason to buy good value Bourbon.

Connoisseur

A couple years ago I decided to bunker Old Ezra 101 not because of concerns about price but because of the trend toward NAS and/or reduced ABV. The effort didn't succeed because I drank it all--and then some.
    I stock up on family size jugs of my Big Three (AAA, VOB, and OWA) whenever I am in KY just because they are unavailable in OH. Also, when I am in a non-control state, I stock up on what is on sale. Blanton's in AZ for $40 tastes even better than Blanton's in OH at $50+.
    I have been tempted to put aside some bourbon as "benchmarks" to which I can compare the versions that are sure to emerge a few years down the line. Rather like having dusties in 10 years without having to search all over hell's half acre for them. Same problem keeps popping up, though. Whenever I buy bourbon, I drink it. What a problem!
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

I just buy and drink, my way of stimulating the economy.

Virtuoso

I have more than a few unopened HH6 BIB, Ritt BIB, OWA, and W12.

Connoisseur

I don't necessarily 'stock up' on the less expensive Bourbons; but, I do have my favs among those that rest on the lower shelves. I'm rarely without Four Roses Yellow label for long, nor Evan Williams Black Label, nor W.L. Weller Special Reserve, nor Old Grand Dad BIB. None of those is anybody's idea of a classy dram, yet all are very tasty in their own unique ways, and always find favor with me.
    I don't bunker 'em mostly because I expect 'em always to be easy to get.... I hope I'm not too foolishly trusting in that regard.....

Virtuoso

I've got a handful of WT101 Rye and recently have tried to keep a couple each of VOB BiB and/or 90, AAA10, and OGD 86. But I wouldn't call it a bunker as like Flyfish says, I don't hesitate to bring the next one up as required ...
    Mark

Guru

Then the next one and the next one, just their presence is a reassurance.

Enthusiast

Yellow label for $13?!?! That's almost $10 cheaper than here. We must get hosed on FR products though, I remember seeing small batch and single barrel for $30ish in Indiana, where they are both $50 here. Most other prices seem to be similar here, and we don't get gouged on things because there is only one possible price they can be sold at.

I have to say that I've become hooked on value bourbons. Once I fell down the Heaven Hill "which BIB is best" rabbit hole I decided I liked the bottom shelf almost as much as the top shelf. OGD114 is my alpha and omega on this - sometimes I get bored and go back to that one and its like "ahhhhh"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    I'm rarely without Four Roses Yellow label for long, nor Evan Williams Black Label, nor W.L. Weller Special Reserve, nor Old Grand Dad BIB. None of those is anybody's idea of a classy dram
    But what about if I drink them out of my glencairn with pinky raised toward the heavens?