Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: What accounts for bourbons of same proof having such big differences in heat/burn

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    To admit burn would be to admit you were a pussy. Can we say that here?
    "that." There I said it!

Enthusiast

Re: What accounts for bourbons of same proof having such big differences in heat/burn

Hey, it's not iced tea. If it didn't have some burn, what would be the point. Admitting it burns doesn't make you a pussy . . .
    not drinking it because it burns makes you a pussy.

It's kinda like hot sauce. Everyone has their level of burn that they like.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    To admit burn would be to admit you were a pussy. Can we say that here?
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I don't mind, ask the pussies.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    That generations fixation on smooth is what led to the popularity of blended canadian whiskeys. Todays generations fixation on smooth is what led to the popularity of Vodka.
    And both generations were just trying to get laid.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    About 40 years ago, I used to go to the family farm on weekends to help my wife's father and uncle clear some brush. After a couple hours we would adjourn to the root cellar where there was a big barrel of apple jack. We'd toss some back and the old guys would says, "Wow, that smoooooth!" By which they meant, "Ok, so it tastes like lighter fluid and the fumes have removed all of our nose hairs but it beats clearing brush." These gentlemen also drank boiler makers and they always came out with that same "Wow, that's smoooooth!" In those days, a kid from the city didn't argue with real men.
    Be sure and ask for Guzzler's Gin. A nice, smooth drink.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Heads & tails, distillation style, shape of the still, proof into the barrel, jeez; this is fun!
    I always learn so much in these forums. You guys just rattle this stuff off like it's nothing; but, to me it's AMAZING!!!!
    From my common sense, I bet the heads and tails explanation is a big part of the 'burn'. Don't know; ...just sayin'....

Disciple

The burn and color help remind me that I am not drinking water.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I don't mind, ask the pussies.

awesome reply!

i dont like "smooth". then again, i dont like harsh, just for the sake of being harsh. harsh young isnt good. harsh old is. kinda why i refuse to buy anything under 100 proof. a good "bite" makes a good bourbon to me. Love Bookers and KC 120 proof, and settle into BIB's for daily drinks. If 80-90 proof was all there was, id give up bourbons altogether.

Enthusiast

What accounts for bourbons of same proof having such big differences in heat/...

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    There's a lot more to "burn" than alcohol. Wood tannins, for instance.
    I think this is a main contributor. If a barrel is 10 years old and aged on the top floor of a warehouse, I think it would taste much "hotter" due to the intense oak influence. I would also think a similar barrel aged in the middle floors or lower floors would seem more well rounded and not have the same "heat".

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    A lot of the sensation of "burn" comes from the amount of heads and tails present. Not sure that the alcohol itself has a lot of "burn" taste. I have tasted white dog fresh from the still that had no burn at all.
    I totally agree. When tasting at Leopold Bros, we tried the heads, hearts and tails right off the second distillation run. Heads were nasty, nail polish remover or $8 per handle vodka smell (and taste). Those went bye-bye. The hearts didn't burn, even at 70% alcohol, just left a warming sensation. The tails were funky and burned somewhat, but not unpleasant like the heads. Very informative session.