Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What accounts for bourbons of same proof having such big differences in heat/burn

I asked Chip for an answer. It was way over my head and he was using words I can't even spell. But the gist is that burn/heat is caused by solvents in your distillate that are a specific group of non-ethanol alcohols. They are always present in whiskey, but the size and shape of your still and speed of your distillation will produce them in different concentrations.

Enthusiast

Re: What accounts for bourbons of same proof having such big differences in heat/burn

I always thought ER to be extremely hot for a 90 proofer (BT mashbill #1).
    ETL at the same 90 proof is never hot (BT mashbill #2).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    I always thought ER to be extremely hot for a 90 proofer (BT mashbill #1).
    ETL at the same 90 proof is never hot (BT mashbill #2).
    Forgot to mention, style of fermentation will also affect concentrations of compounds that lead to burn.

Guru

My Father's generation would refer to a lack of burn as 'smooth', not very technical but those guys knew their Bourbon.

Connoisseur

I agree that what you had to eat, or did not eat, time of day..etc can change the sensation as well. I can have the same bourbon and at different times get varying amounts of burn. Frankly, I like some burn.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    I asked Chip for an answer. It was way over my head and he was using words I can't even spell. But the gist is that burn/heat is caused by solvents in your distillate that are a specific group of non-ethanol alcohols. They are always present in whiskey, but the size and shape of your still and speed of your distillation will produce them in different concentrations.
    This makes a lot of sense. I believe that these compounds must be pretty volatile, too, as the effect often dissipates with sufficient airtime.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    My Father's generation would refer to a lack of burn as 'smooth', not very technical but those guys knew their Bourbon.
    About 40 years ago, I used to go to the family farm on weekends to help my wife's father and uncle clear some brush. After a couple hours we would adjourn to the root cellar where there was a big barrel of apple jack. We'd toss some back and the old guys would says, "Wow, that smoooooth!" By which they meant, "Ok, so it tastes like lighter fluid and the fumes have removed all of our nose hairs but it beats clearing brush." These gentlemen also drank boiler makers and they always came out with that same "Wow, that's smoooooth!" In those days, a kid from the city didn't argue with real men.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Virtuoso

That generations fixation on smooth is what led to the popularity of blended canadian whiskeys. Todays generations fixation on smooth is what led to the popularity of Vodka.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    About 40 years ago, I used to go to the family farm on weekends to help my wife's father and uncle clear some brush. After a couple hours we would adjourn to the root cellar where there was a big barrel of apple jack. We'd toss some back and the old guys would says, "Wow, that smoooooth!" By which they meant, "Ok, so it tastes like lighter fluid and the fumes have removed all of our nose hairs but it beats clearing brush." These gentlemen also drank boiler makers and they always came out with that same "Wow, that's smoooooth!" In those days, a kid from the city didn't argue with real men.
    To admit burn would be to admit you were a pussy. Can we say that here?
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

I don't mind, ask the pussies.