Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: What accounts for bourbons of same proof having such big differences in heat/burn

That's not a given Winston, the classic whiskys of America, Canada, the Brandys of Armagnac and most of the World's finest gins, vodkas and rums are all made with a column still. To say that less desirable whisky can be with a column still is misleading because equally bad or worse whisky can be make with a pot still.

Connoisseur

Re: What accounts for bourbons of same proof having such big differences in heat/burn

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    Because?

When I spoke to Chip about this, he was very specific that column stills are more likely to produce harsher alcohols, especially if you run your distillation fast.
    Yeah, I think you're right. This reminded me of a video I watched on Rum production. The Distiller stated that the first part of the new make that comes off the still has high sulfur content and they typically discard it and catch the medium portion. They said that is the best part.

So it is possible that, at least the cheap stuff, it's probably all made from the "head" of the new make.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    So it is possible that, at least the cheap stuff, it's probably all made from the "head" of the new make.
    That is where much of the methanol is, so it certainly couldn't be "all" of it or they'd poison their customers ... but they probably cut over sooner and cut out later, if that is what you mean ... yields more quantity with each run but lower quality new make. But some of the interesting stuff is in the tails, knowing when to make the cuts is the art and science of it all.
    Mark

Guru

Bmac that's actually due to the high concentration of sulfur naturally occurring in the volcanic soil where the sugar cane is grown, particularly in the Caribbean Islands. The sugar refining process produces molasses as a by product which has a much more concentrated sulfur content and since the molasses is the primary product used for rum distillation the sulfur must be dealt with by the distiller. It's a problem that has nothing to do with the size, shape, type or style of the still.

Guru

Guys, once a column still is up and running the heads and tails are removed within the column itself and do not make it into the finished whisky. That's a simplified explanation but close enough to be a general statement. This is why a column still is always referred to as being efficient when compared to the old fashioned pot still which is itself a glorified tea kettle whose fore shots (heads) can be very dangerous to drink.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Guys, once a column still is up and running the heads and tails are removed within the column itself and do not make it into the finished whisky. That's a simplified explanation but close enough to be a general statement. This is why a column still is always referred to as being efficient when compared to the old fashioned pot still which is itself a glorified tea kettle whose fore shots (heads) can be very dangerous to drink.
    You are right on the money, you get heads on start up and tails on shutdown. When that sucker is running right, the heads and tails are not in there. Some of the worst whiskey I have drank, all of it micro, was made on a pot. Where you make your whiskey at is in the cooker and fermenter. You cannot improve it anyway whatsoever by distilling it. You can make it worse though. If you put crap in, you WILL get crap out, and there is a lot of crap mash being boiled off in this country.

Guru

Tom you're reinforcing that old saying good whisky is made in the mash barrel, not in the still.

Virtuoso

Aren't column stills tunable? Can't the distiller pull out or leave in the compounds he chooses? I'm not a distiller or chemist but I seem to recall being told that that was the big advantage besides the possibility of continuous running.

Also I am under the distinct impression that Armagnac being mostly produces by very small farms is almost entirely pot still and that Cognac is also even thou it is produced on a much larger scale.

10_4_10_HennesyCognac39045.jpg cognac_distillery_poitou-charentes_france_C04-464079.jpg

Tom, could "heat" be the result of bad mashing? Perhaps a mold or bacteria in the grain?
    Last edited by sailor22; 06-09-2013 at 17:25.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post

Also I am under the distinct impression that Armagnac being mostly produces by very small farms is almost entirely pot still and that Cognac is also even thou it is produced on a much larger scale.

I've always heard that Armagnac is made using column stills and, unlike cognac, is double-distilled.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    I've always heard that Armagnac is made using column stills and, unlike cognac, is double-distilled.
    To say that one is done one way and the other is done the other is apt to be troublesome as it does not leave room for the exceptions! Cognacs traditionally use pot stills although I don't know if a continuous still is prohibited or just not the traditional method. I suspect it is the latter.

Most armagnacs use a continuous still which producers think gives a more full flavor fruit forward component. But armagnac can be made with a pot still if the distiller so chooses and according to the recent post on Spirits Journal some of the smaller producers may be distilled using a traveling alembic still more similar to cognac.

And isn't it the reverse for number of times distilled? Armagnac is generally once while cognac is twice.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum