Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 6/13: Wild Turkey Rye 101

Sorry I'm late. Been pretty busy lately, and it slipped my mind. Besides, there's no way I could be early three months in a row.

Wild Turkey Rye 101. It's been talked about on the site lately. It's one of a number of bourbons/ryes that is either losing it's age statement, changing proof, or disappearing completely. It's this months Bourbon Of The Month.

Once again, I haven't had this one, so no comments from me. Let's hear it for Wild Turkey Rye 101. Cheers!
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Re: BOTM 6/13: Wild Turkey Rye 101

I haven't had any but I do see it on shelves around here still. Maybe I'll grab a bottle in the next couple of weeks. I know there has been lots of rumors of it being dicontinued but this seems to contradict that: http://bourbondork.blogspot.com/2013...in-turkey.html
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

WT 101 Rye is a very tasty pour, not a punch you in the face kind of rye but works wells as a daily pour. I have 20+ bottles bunkered as with any label change always comes the chance that the new stuff just won't be the same.. It is now very hard to find in my area and I don't think I have seen a bottle local to me in about 3 months...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    I have 20+ bottles bunkered... It is now very hard to find in my area and I don't think I have seen a bottle local to me in about 3 months...
    I wonder why it sold out?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I haven't had any but I do see it on shelves around here still. Maybe I'll grab a bottle in the next couple of weeks. I know there has been lots of rumors of it being dicontinued but this seems to contradict that: http://bourbondork.blogspot.com/2013...in-turkey.html
    Grab them. The Campari Group has made it all too clear that they specialize in removing their good whiskey from the market and replacing it with younger and/or more expensive juice that doesn't taste nearly as good.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

I have put away 6 bottles. I was skeptical of the rye at first b/c I was not a fan of the bird bourbon. I had a pour of the Rye and loved it, ford its value. I think I paid $18 for a the bottles I gobbled up, pun intended. Makes great Manhattans and rye old fashioned's. if I see any available in the wild I buy them if they are around the $20 range.

Mike

Disciple

Not that it makes much difference but I am curious. I was thinking that Russell's Reserve Rye is distilled by LDI (or whatever their name is). Is this true? If so, then the next question is, does LDI also distill WTR 101? It seems like a lot of bottles of rye seem to come from LDI (e.g., Willett, others).

Virtuoso

I'm pretty sure WT makes their own rye.

I was a fan of the 101 when it was available and when it was under $20. I never loved it as much as a lot of folks on here, though. Not enough to bunker it, anyway.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Virtuoso

WT Rye 101 is/was a very good value whiskey. Too bad it probably won't be back. Unfortunately, I killed the last of mine a couple of months ago.

Guru

Think I'll have some tonight and share some thoughts later. Certainly one I would by on the regular if that were still a possibility. I might I have enough to last until it comes back, at least.