Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 6/13: Wild Turkey Rye 101

Quote Originally Posted by PaulO View Post
    I have two bunkered, and left the last couple I saw on the shelf. Around here it seems we always got hosed on the price; at just under $30. It tastes drier than the LDI juice, and younger than Rittenhouse.
    Paul,

As a few Indy guy, just curious. Where and how long ago?

Thanks

Mike

Guru

WTR 101 was what the other WT expressions used to be: a straight forward, honest, in-your-face (in a good way), unapologetic whiskey. I fear if it ever comes back to market it will have devolved like the other WT whiskies.... shadows of their former selves. Sigh.
    Last edited by jburlowski; 06-06-2013 at 14:23.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

You mean it might be Camparized?

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    WTR 101 was what the other WT expressions used to be: a straight forward, honest, in-your-face (in a good way), unapologetic whiskey. I fear if it ever comes back to market it will have devolved like the other WT whiskies.... shadows of their former selves. Sigh.
    I'm curious about this. I watched an interview with Jimmy Russell on Youtube where he says they make everything exactly the same way as when he got there in the 1950s. He talked about how other brands have compromised their products over the years but how he refuses to change. Are you referring to the bourbon itself, or the way it's marketed?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    I think this is a spot-on description: in-your-face but in a good way - spicy rye with a bit of mint and cinnamon with a bold oaky dry finish. I do not typically bunker whiskey, but this was one where I did buy a few before it disappeared from the shelves. It will be a shame if this doesn't come back as strong as it was - it was only about 4 yrs old, right? Does anyone know the average age of the 101? Would it really take that long to get it back on the shelf given, I assume, they have the 81 in regular production?
    Mark

Virtuoso

I really enjoyed this one and put a few on reserve when I heard it was going away. I drank JB rye for a while, but this was the first one to really give me an impression of what rye was all about. As others have said, it's in-your-face, but in a good way. It is very rye forward without being unbalanced or unpleasant. Here's hoping they bring it back intact.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sutton View Post
    I think this is a spot-on description: in-your-face but in a good way - spicy rye with a bit of mint and cinnamon with a bold oaky dry finish. I do not typically bunker whiskey, but this was one where I did buy a few before it disappeared from the shelves. It will be a shame if this doesn't come back as strong as it was - it was only about 4 yrs old, right? Does anyone know the average age of the 101? Would it really take that long to get it back on the shelf given, I assume, they have the 81 in regular production?
    If you watch the video Jimmy Russell says it's 6-7 yr and that rye whiskey is for mixin'
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

I noticed that, and his insistence that they still make the whisky "the same way" though we know they don't. With deference to the gentleman I am mindful that since the French bought the company in 1980 he has been a company spokesman and they write the tune he sings.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    If you watch the video Jimmy Russell says it's 6-7 yr and that rye whiskey is for mixin'
    Thanks - even a better value than I thought! And Mr. Russell is right, it does make a nice Manhattan - but rye ain't just for mixin' anymore ...
    Mark

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I noticed that, and his insistence that they still make the whisky "the same way" though we know they don't. With deference to the gentleman I am mindful that since the French bought the company in 1980 he has been a company spokesman and they write the tune he sings.
    He's a pretty good spokesman. I went out and bought my first bottle of WT101 right after watching that interview. He came across as totally believable to me.