Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 6/13: Wild Turkey Rye 101

A bunch of these showed up recently at several local stores. Must have been constipation somewhere in the supply chain
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

So how do we get a concrete confirmation on if this stuff is coming back or not? I would say the COLA application is a step in the right direction though....
    This happens to be my favorite whiskey and my 15 bottles I stockpiled won't last forever! I need to know if I have to go out and somehow find more!
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Advanced Taster

I love when the BOTM thread makes me pull a bottle off the shelf that I've been ignoring for too long. I actually bought this bottle of WT rye quite a while ago, I'm guessing 5 or 6 years. When I first opened it, I thought it was too hot - whatever good flavor was there was overshadowed by the alcohol burn. But after it had been opened for a while it eventually settled down and came into its own.

It's just a good, solid, well-rounded rye. My bottle is a little less than half full, and still drinking very nicely after being opened for several years. I might have to pick up a bottle of the 81 proof rye now just to see how it compares.

Virtuoso

I like the WTR101, very good for the price. I usually use it to make Old Fashioneds, but also drink it neat on occasion.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    So how do we get a concrete confirmation on if this stuff is coming back or not? I would say the COLA application is a step in the right direction though....
    This happens to be my favorite whiskey and my 15 bottles I stockpiled won't last forever! I need to know if I have to go out and somehow find more!
    I would hold your enthusiasm myself (I am). I loved the old stuff also but I think it is a sure bet the new stuff will be younger.

Guru

Just picked up my first WTR101 last night and cracked it this morning. I've had a bottle of 81 that I thought was alright (I know some folks thought it was horse piss). At $25 a bottle, it seems like a pretty good value. Without doing a side-by-side, my guess is that it would hold up against the young Willett FERs that are typically around 110 proof (but typically $35 around these parts). Maybe not quite as good, but at 2/3 the cost - a pretty nice rye. Not sure I'll make the 90 minute round-trip drive to pick the other up though, since it sounds like WT will bring back the 101 at some point (although it may not be nearly as good - I know).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Still easily available in Australia.

Virtuoso

The 81 proof is now everywhere, but the 101 WT Rye is gone or very scarce in Japan. (But I got a couple bunkered. I'm a big fan of the stuff.)
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Guru

It's all gone in NWGA and the WTR81 is horrible. Gonna make a run to Chattanooga tomorrow and see if I can find any.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I don't like it. The 81 proof rye makes it tastes like VWFRR, tho.

With all due respect to Josh, I do love the old WT101Rye. Bought a case when it was going away, but like an idiot I'm down to 3 bottles. When I open a bottle, it goes fast. I don't drink nearly as much Rye as I did a couple years ago, but the 101 remains my favorite everyday Rye pour. When, and if, it does come back, I'll try it with an open mind, but I don't have high hopes.

On a related note, while I don't care for Baby Saz(Medicinal finish), and I do enjoy RittBIB, WT101 was in a class above, IMHO. I view it as the last great WT bottling to bite the dust.