Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 6/13: Wild Turkey Rye 101

A bunch of these showed up recently at several local stores. Must have been constipation somewhere in the supply chain
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

So how do we get a concrete confirmation on if this stuff is coming back or not? I would say the COLA application is a step in the right direction though....
    This happens to be my favorite whiskey and my 15 bottles I stockpiled won't last forever! I need to know if I have to go out and somehow find more!
    Michter's Distillery, Inc. DSP-PA-17 Schaefferstown, PA.
    Until Wednesday Feb. 14th, 1990, Michter's was "The whiskey that warmed the revolution."

Advanced Taster

I love when the BOTM thread makes me pull a bottle off the shelf that I've been ignoring for too long. I actually bought this bottle of WT rye quite a while ago, I'm guessing 5 or 6 years. When I first opened it, I thought it was too hot - whatever good flavor was there was overshadowed by the alcohol burn. But after it had been opened for a while it eventually settled down and came into its own.

It's just a good, solid, well-rounded rye. My bottle is a little less than half full, and still drinking very nicely after being opened for several years. I might have to pick up a bottle of the 81 proof rye now just to see how it compares.

Virtuoso

I like the WTR101, very good for the price. I usually use it to make Old Fashioneds, but also drink it neat on occasion.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    So how do we get a concrete confirmation on if this stuff is coming back or not? I would say the COLA application is a step in the right direction though....
    This happens to be my favorite whiskey and my 15 bottles I stockpiled won't last forever! I need to know if I have to go out and somehow find more!
    I would hold your enthusiasm myself (I am). I loved the old stuff also but I think it is a sure bet the new stuff will be younger.

Guru

Just picked up my first WTR101 last night and cracked it this morning. I've had a bottle of 81 that I thought was alright (I know some folks thought it was horse piss). At $25 a bottle, it seems like a pretty good value. Without doing a side-by-side, my guess is that it would hold up against the young Willett FERs that are typically around 110 proof (but typically $35 around these parts). Maybe not quite as good, but at 2/3 the cost - a pretty nice rye. Not sure I'll make the 90 minute round-trip drive to pick the other up though, since it sounds like WT will bring back the 101 at some point (although it may not be nearly as good - I know).
    Gary (aka 'Country')
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Still easily available in Australia.

Virtuoso

The 81 proof is now everywhere, but the 101 WT Rye is gone or very scarce in Japan. (But I got a couple bunkered. I'm a big fan of the stuff.)
    Peace, ... and Hippy Love.

Guru

It's all gone in NWGA and the WTR81 is horrible. Gonna make a run to Chattanooga tomorrow and see if I can find any.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I don't like it. The 81 proof rye makes it tastes like VWFRR, tho.

With all due respect to Josh, I do love the old WT101Rye. Bought a case when it was going away, but like an idiot I'm down to 3 bottles. When I open a bottle, it goes fast. I don't drink nearly as much Rye as I did a couple years ago, but the 101 remains my favorite everyday Rye pour. When, and if, it does come back, I'll try it with an open mind, but I don't have high hopes.

On a related note, while I don't care for Baby Saz(Medicinal finish), and I do enjoy RittBIB, WT101 was in a class above, IMHO. I view it as the last great WT bottling to bite the dust.