Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Tallahassee folks - is this your home store?

Saw this posted somewhere today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...quest/2356067/

Very cool to see Bledsoe & y'all's efforts getting some press time.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Re: Tallahassee folks - is this your home store?

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Saw this posted somewhere today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...quest/2356067/

Very cool to see Bledsoe & y'all's efforts getting some press time.
    Yes it is. Jim's store (Market Square Liquors) in Tallahassee carries more private barrel selections than anyone in the country. In addition to that, he carries a great selection of "allotted" premium bourbons that are hard to find because they were/are limited releases. Unfortunately, he doesn't ship. Several of us (members of the Tallahassee Whiskey Society headed by Steve (Sailor 22) are on his barrel selection team and make the trips with him. In April we picked 42 barrels after tasting over 100.

Jim has always been a back-office managing partner so it's great to see him getting the recognition he deserves. He does love his bourbons .. and the bourbon makers love him because he puts a spotlight on their very best products.

If you're in the area .. you won't be disappointed. PM me in advance if you're heading this way .. we always share good times on the cigar porch between the liquor store and the co-owned bar next door.
    Jon

Advanced Taster

Tallahassee folks - is this your home store?

You boys in Tally know how to do it right
    That was a nice article/video
    Cheers to Jim and the TWS

Virtuoso

Is this Heaven?........No it's Tallahassee.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Virtuoso

Having a resource like Jim, Market Square and The Lounge in my back yard is so cool. What the writer didn't mention is that Jim was a distributors rep for most of his long career in spirits sales. He knows the business and has developed into a real Bourbon enthusiast with a really good palate. If he doesn't like the product or doesn't think its a decent value he won't stock it. If he thinks it's a good pour that will be in limited supply he will buy as much as he can get.

The Lounge hosts The Tallahassee Whiskey Society the first Wed. of every month. A number of us hard core sippers show up every Wed. actually. Please stop by and join us any time your in the area.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Having a resource like Jim, Market Square and The Lounge in my back yard is so cool. What the writer didn't mention is that Jim was a distributors rep for most of his long career in spirits sales. He knows the business and has developed into a real Bourbon enthusiast with a really good palate. If he doesn't like the product or doesn't think its a decent value he won't stock it. If he thinks it's a good pour that will be in limited supply he will buy as much as he can get.

The Lounge hosts The Tallahassee Whiskey Society the first Wed. of every month. A number of us hard core sippers show up every Wed. actually. Please stop by and join us any time your in the area.
    And what Sailor doesn't mention is his own cameo .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Advanced Taster

A regular stop on our way to the beach every September. Will be there 9/7 around 4:00. Hope some of those 42 barrels are still available.
    Tom Sangster
    Winterville, GA

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tsangster View Post
    A regular stop on our way to the beach every September. Will be there 9/7 around 4:00. Hope some of those 42 barrels are still available.
    So far none of them have arrived. I would think that all of them should be in by 9/7. You know they will be available. Steve & I can't drink that much!!
    Jon

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by HighHorse View Post
    So far none of them have arrived. I would think that all of them should be in by 9/7. You know they will be available. Steve & I can't drink that much!!
    But you gotta try for those of us far far away!

Looks like an amazing shop, glad there's gems like this out there.

Apprentice

I finally made it to the Market Square store today, noted in the article. I ended up going to a Market Square store (thinking it was the one in the article) yesterday, but nobody knew what i was talking about when asked about the single barrel buys except one very nice lady who said, "you want the other Market Square". With a honey-do list in hand I had to go, but didn't before buying a bottle.

I was however, resolved to get to the right store today and I did. In my limited experience, the bourbon selection is the definitely the largest I've seen in one place, with many whiskies, including Ryes, I've never heard of or read on this website in the few months I've been lurking. I asked about the article, and gentleman who works there discussed their trip to Kentucky to purchase the barrels discussed in the article; he was extremely nice and very informative. The bourbon they purchased will be single barrel and will be labelled as such. There were a few various bottles from a previous trip to Kentucky on the shelf that had an additional metallic(?) tag on the front noting it was a bottled specifically for "Market Square"- very cool. He discussed that in the next several months, the barrels they selected to be single barreled will begin arriving at the store. The shelf also had metallic barrel tags hanging in front of various brands noting what was purchased and soon to be arriving in a single barrel bottling-also very cool.

He asked what I liked, and I discussed I was just getting into sipping bourbon, but that I just got a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 for fathers day. He was complimentary of the brand and indicated three other bottles from different makers that have a similar profile that he thought I would like. He indicated tastings next door in the lounge on just about everything they had and to come back anytime and try some.

So, I'm saving up to buy some of their bottles when they get in, and I'm going to try and carve a Wed evening to sip some of the good stuff with the TWS. Note, this store is about a 1/4 mile, if that, off of Interstate 10, so if you are driving through Tallahassee it would not be too hard to find. Now that I know where this place is, I can't imagine buying bourbon or any iteration of whisky anywhere else.

Mike