Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from Atlanta, Georgia.

Hey, guys. Until recently I've been mostly a craft beer drinker but have gotten into bourbon and rye recently, as well as classic cocktails. Looking to forward to learning more about bourbon!

Guru

Re: Hello from Atlanta, Georgia.

Then this is the place to be, welcome aboard.

Connoisseur

Welcome draiiinage! Have fun here (you almost can't help doing that). Seek out 'darylld' on these foorums. He's in Marietta.
    My Baby Boy.
    I'm in Michigan where he grew up. All the guys & gals in the Georgia Bourbon Society are very nice and friendly, and very accommodating; besides being very knowledgeable, as many, many on SB certainly are; so... HAVE FUN!!

Enthusiast

Welcome to the group.
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Enthusiast

Welcome draiinage from a fellow Atlantan. SB is a great place, and be sure to check into the GBS--Georgia Bourbon Society. GBS is having a meet-up on June 29th: check the Bourbon Social thread.

Enjoy your time here, and look forward to meeting a fellow ATL bourbon lover.
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Guru

Welcome to SB draiiinage, from another Atlanta-ish member! Definitely second wmpevans - check into the GBS meet-up in late June. Look forward to reading your posts and meeting you! What bourbons are you into at the moment (and "all of them" is an acceptable answer )
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Welcome to SB draiiinage, from another Atlanta-ish member! Definitely second wmpevans - check into the GBS meet-up in late June. Look forward to reading your posts and meeting you! What bourbons are you into at the moment (and "all of them" is an acceptable answer )
    Thanks for the welcome, everybody! I will definitely check out the meet up. I haven't yet met a bourbon I didn't like, but for my neat bourbon drinking I've been going with the Willett Family Reserve. I've only been able to find the 6 year bourbons and 4-5 year ryes in the area so far. I live out in the Mountain Park / Stone Mountain area, but work in downtown.

Also, for those in the Atlanta area - what's your favorite package store(s)? I've had the best luck so far with Decatur Package Store.

Guru

There are some other members in your neck of the woods who can recommend good shops. The only one I know of on that side of town is the Dekalb Bottle House on Briarcliff. Small footprint, but pretty nice selection (and they've started doing some private barrel picks, and I believe plan to keep that up if not increase it). On my side of town, there are several which are pretty good (Minks at Delk & 75, Jackie's Fine Wine & Spirits on Johnson's Ferry - both in Marietta). I like the young Willett ryes, and have had some amazing bourbons - but also some that I was disappointed in. This Friday several of us met up, and there was a Willett 7 yr (130 proof) that was amazing, and an 11 yr (113 proof) that I didn't care for. The 3-5 yr ryes I've found to be more reliable, probably because the juice (to my knowledge) is all LDI/MGP - where the bourbon could be Heaven Hill, Brown-Forman, Buffalo Trace, etc.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by draiiinage View Post
    Also, for those in the Atlanta area - what's your favorite package store(s)? I've had the best luck so far with Decatur Package Store.
    Welcome!

Smoke Rise Bottle Shoppe in Stone Mountain has an excellent bourbon and scotch inventory...http://www.smokerisebottle.com/