Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month

I would love to contribute to this thread. Probably enough of us on here to rotate.

Guru

I expect the interest is there, just how to structure the forum.

Virtuoso

I like the idea, and would like to participate, but I would imagine it ain't gonna be cheap...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

How about we just turn the Ardbog thread into the first of them since it is obviously drawing the most interest for now? I have no problem posting a thread monthly for this, but as for doing it in some structured way, well that I cannot promise as I dove in head first to the peat and loved it ever since. That said I can pick things other than peat that I am interested in as well as take suggestions.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Guru

I vote for suggestions.

Enthusiast

My thought is initially we start with the reference drams that you can find most places, are somewhat affordable and may even already be in many people's cabinets - Laphroiag 10, Springbank 10, Talisker 10, Edradour 10 (okay not common but so tasty), Macallan 12, JW Black (it sells so much it's hard not to include it), Glenmorangie classic, or one of the finishes from Glenmo, Highland Park 12, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich Laddie 10, and so on.

I love peat but I think we should also make sure to rotate through a variety of styles - heavily peated, sherried, triple-distilled, Irish, Indian (the Amrut Fusion is really tasty), Canadian, etc. Also we shouldn't leave out the new style blends like those from Compass Box, Monkey Shoulder, and Cutty Sark Prohibition. I like the special releases as much as the next guy but they can be very expensive and hard for people to get in many states. Besides we could pick a new whisky each month and not run out of regular offerings for several decades.

Here is one quick list of drams for this month and the next 12. My thought is by putting the dram of the month out there in advance people can look for them when they are on sale and have them standing by ahead of time ready to crack open on the 1st of the month.

What does everyone think about this list? It has something for almost everyone – peat heads, sherryphiles, whisky from the 5 regions, Irish, blends, etc. I chose Glenmo to start this month because it is so ubiquitous and relatively inexpensive.

June – Glenmorangie Classic -
    July – Macallan 12 -
    August – Red Breast 12 Year Old Pot Still Irish Whiskey
    September – Laphroaig 10
    Oct – Edradour 10 (formerly the smallest distillery in Scotland)
    Nov – Talisker 10
    Dec – Springbank 10
    Jan – Caol Ila 12 –
    Feb – Glenfiddich 12 -
    Mar – Highland Park 12 –
    Apr – Johnnie Walker Black
    May – Glenlivet 12
    June – Auchentoshan Three Wood
    Let me know what you think.

Guru

A few others come to mind, Ardmore, Auchentoshan (distillery expression), Aultmore, Balvenie, Black Bottle, Blue Hanger, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain and I'll stop with Cragganmore before I run out of breath.

Virtuoso

My only concern with that is that it's a bit pedestrian, and that having such a rigid list loses some of the excitement. I mean, other than maybe Edradour, Springbank, and Auchentoshan who would have much trouble finding any of those on extremely short notice?

I also don't know how much discussion Glenlivet 12 would get, and we just had a rather extended discussion of Macallan 12.

I'm 100% on board with the idea, and would gladly revisit something like the old Glenlivet 12 for this purpose, but a lot of the members here are regularly drinking more interesting (and thus, more expensive) bottles IMO. If this gets up and running, how about announcing next month's selection at the end of the 1st post. Everyone who is interested in participating would have 30 days to obtain whatever they need, and we won't be sitting around for a year waiting for the Auchentoshan Three Wood.

Is there some way to have a lottery for selection leader each month? Or is that too complicated to be worth it?

My 2 cents.

Guru

Toss the Irish and Canadians in the mix and the water is deep as well as broad.

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Toss the Irish and Canadians in the mix and the water is deep as well as broad.
    Also: English, Taiwanese, Japanese, Australian, Swedish, etc., etc., etc.,

There's plenty of OB expressions in various age statements to provide content for some time. I'm personally more interested in independent/uncommon bottlings these days and would like to see a mix of "standards" & "exotics".
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof