Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month

Along the lines of Yeti's point, maybe the whisky of the month could be broadened to include discussion on any and all expressions from the distillery. We could do a distillery of the month, and we could talk about anything from their standard entry level 10/12 yo up to older and/or LE/CS/independent bottlings we have or have had. I honestly don't have room in my bar to go out and buy - as Yeti put it - the pedestrian expressions from a given distillery every month.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    We could do a distillery of the month.
    This. This is the right idea. Some people can talk about the 12/15/18/etc. Some about the Distiller's Edition, or cask strength, or independent bottled single casks. Everyone can have their cake and drink it too. Plenty of distilleries around the world to keep this going indefinitely.

Guru

That idea has merit, either distillery or brand (thinking Middleton here) would be suitable for discussion which is kinda the point of the proposed forum.

Guru

Distillery/brand is a brilliant idea.

Advanced Taster

Interesting idea. Distillery/Brand of the month would allow people with different budgets to participate if they want and also provide a lot of variety discussed. In Scotland alone there are enough distilleries to keep going without repeating for at least 10 years, add in the European, Irish, Indian, American Whiskies (that aren't bourbon), Taiwanese, Australian, etc. I vote for that idea. Can we still have a schedule at least a few months out to give people a head's up so if they are shopping and only buy 2 bottles a month they can pick up something? Maybe 3 months out adding a new one at the end of each month so it's always a 3-month window.

Guru

Yes, three months would work, now all we need is a selection process.

Virtuoso

If the idea is that this will be a new sub-forum and that it will serve as a permanent discussion house for each distillery as well as a resource of knowledge and experience, I nominate these distilleries for the first three months.

1) Glenlivet - Perhaps the most ubiquitous single malt whisky in the world. I would be happy to discuss my experience with a show-stopping Signatory bottling, as well as pop open a Nadurra and/or a 15 french oak for the cause.

2) Cooley - an Irish distillery owned by Beam, Inc. Best known for producing Kilbeggan and Tyrconnel whiskies, as well as the peated Connemara. Connemara is the whiskey that introduced me to the peated flavor profile and will always be thought of fondly for that.

3) Ardbeg - The lustre is wearing thin, but this was the coolest kid in school for several years recently. They produce a respectable core range and have many fascinating limited releases from the past 10 years.

Guru

Or the Grant family, who produce the World's most popular single malt (by sales) Glenfiddich and it's next door neighbor, Balvinie.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    If the idea is that this will be a new sub-forum and that it will serve as a permanent discussion house for each distillery as well as a resource of knowledge and experience, I nominate these distilleries for the first three months.

1) Glenlivet - Perhaps the most ubiquitous single malt whisky in the world. I would be happy to discuss my experience with a show-stopping Signatory bottling, as well as pop open a Nadurra and/or a 15 french oak for the cause.

2) Cooley - an Irish distillery owned by Beam, Inc. Best known for producing Kilbeggan and Tyrconnel whiskies, as well as the peated Connemara. Connemara is the whiskey that introduced me to the peated flavor profile and will always be thought of fondly for that.

3) Ardbeg - The lustre is wearing thin, but this was the coolest kid in school for several years recently. They produce a respectable core range and have many fascinating limited releases from the past 10 years.
    I'll add my three.

1) Glenfarclas. Old-school, family owned sherried Speysider. Great quality, great value.

2) Springbank. Another privately owned distillery, they've been bottling NCF, higher abv malt with no added color for longer than any other distillery, and they're the only one that still uses 100% their own floor maltings. This is my favorite distillery.

3) Compass Box. Nice variety of products. 'Blended malt' does not have the same negative connotation when they do it. A bit pricey (similar to High West), but great quality.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Virtuoso

Foreign Whisky of the Month

Glenfarclas is my jam, as the kids say. Springbank would be great because I've never tried and hear such great things.