Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Forbes. Worst Bourbon Coverage Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I don't see where he said that...he says:

"At nearly $100 a bottle, this immediately jumps to the top end of the bourbon price range, and having tried it, I would suggest that it is mainly for collectors, especially given its very limited production."

and...." If you want to add a bottle to your bar that few of your friends will have ever seen, the Single Barrel will do the job"

He is just stating his preference for the regular 4RSB over the more expensive limited release.

I guess we all read and interpret things a little differently.
    I don't think he's talking about the standard single barrel. He doesn't mention that bottling anywhere in the article - just the 1B LE and the standard Small Batch. His conclusion is "buy Single Barrel LE to show off, buy standard Small Batch to drink."
    Jim

Guru

Re: Forbes. Worst Bourbon Coverage Ever?

He may have incorrectly used "batch" instead of "barrel" (or actually meant small batch), but regardless, to quote him accurately:

"If you want to add a bottle to your bar that few of your friends will have ever seen, the Single Barrel will do the job, and if you want a great bourbon and great value that is equally well suited to sipping daily or on special occasions, try the Four Roses Small Batch."

I still don't understand what everyone is up in arms about. It is just his opinion and he is recommending the more inexpensive "small batch" over the limited edition single barrel. I read his comment as, if you are one who is interested in showing off, by all means buy the limited edition, but if you want to offer a great
    sipper without spending $100 go for the small batch.

Like I said, different people will have different impressions.

Disciple

That's exactly what bothers me about it. I have a bottle of the limited edition single barrel. Two of them, in fact. They'll get emptied. I don't care about showing them off. They're for drinking.

I don't like the implication that these bottles are for collectors. They're not. They're for enthusiasts who want to drink them. And I don't like seeing the gospel of "this bottle will impress your friends!" spread any further. They're already hard enough to come by for people who want to drink them.
    Jim

Connoisseur

I can't imagine not sharing a bottle with my friends. What's the point? The best part of a good bottle is sharing with others who appreciate it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyagonzo View Post
    I can't imagine not sharing a bottle with my friends. What's the point? The best part of a good bottle is sharing with others who appreciate it.
    Sharing is one thing. "If you want a bottle that few of your friends have ever seen" is another thing entirely. The author is not talking about sharing, he is talking about a showpiece - the "I haff viskies you vill neva taste" mentality.
    Jim

Guru

The guy wrote the article he was assigned using the samples he was given and as superficial articles go it's not too bad.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Sharing is one thing. "If you want a bottle that few of your friends have ever seen" is another thing entirely. The author is not talking about sharing, he is talking about a showpiece - the "I haff viskies you vill neva taste" mentality.
    Yeah kind if a disjointed argument I gave. I am just saying its a travesty not to enjoy these bottles. Just letting them collect dust as a showpiece is a foreign concept to me.

Guru

I understand the concern about collecting, but I don't read it that way. I don't see where he wrote don't share it with friends.

"If you want to add a bottle to your bar that few of your friends will have ever seen, the Single Barrel will do the job, and if you want a great bourbon and great value that is equally well suited to sipping daily or on special occasions, try the Four Roses Small Batch."

The statement is probably true...few of your friends will have seen the bottle. And by all means, share it.
    I think this is a great case of people reading into something what may or may not be there. We alll have different triggers and sometimes the possible
    hint of snobbish collectorism is all it takes.

I would still like to hear from Chuck C what concerned him about the article.

Guru

On the other hand, his review of Dickel Rye is somewhat cringe worthy - to me.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolm...ll-turn-heads/

"George Dickel rye is ultra-smooth, which I have to attribute to the chilling and charcoal filtering, The rye itself comes from Indiana, the whiskey is chilled before filtering, and it is unbelievably free of harsh notes."

Maybe he is a fan of chill filtration.
    Last edited by Jono; 06-11-2013 at 11:57.

Disciple

I would trust Forbes' bourbon reviews about as much as I trust their financial advice. Not much. Still if I am bored, I would probably rather read this stuff than watch reality TV, Duck Dynasty notwithstanding.