Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Hello from Seattle

Thank you all for helping kickstart my new bourbon mini-obsession!

I started getting really interested a couple of weekends ago when I was in Kentucky. I wanted to tour a bunch of distilleries while I was there, and my finance and I ended up checking out Jim Beam, Maker's, Four Roses, and Wild Turkey.

The only one we did a full tour of was Maker's. I thought the tour itself was great - very interesting and pretty comprehensive, complete with some tastings at the end. They certainly have their branding and marketing down. I've had Maker's before, so no surprises there. The Maker's 46 was interesting to try, but it's pretty pricey stuff.

We tasted at Four Roses and I came away really impressed. The yellow label struck me as a great mixer. I really like the single barrel as well. For the price, I thought the small batch occupied a sort of awkward position between the other two and I felt like I'd prefer either the single barrel or the yellow label if I had to make a choice. I was also really impressed by Beam, which I wasn't really expecting. Wild Turkey didn't blow me away; we tried their higher end stuff (Russel's Reserve, etc.).

I stopped by a Liquor Barn and picked up a bottle of Booker's, some Eagle Rare 10yr, and a bottle of Rowan's Creek. Then I started reading around here to get more opinions, and I like the advice to start on the low end and get a feel for what you're drinking before moving to the higher end stuff. I've left the Booker's and Eagle Rare unopened and I searched around here for a while to get recommendations. I picked up EWBL, OGD BIB, and Old Forrester 86 locally. OF86 was about $16 and OF100 was $35 (which seemed very overpriced) so I opted for the 86.

The OGD BIB is great stuff, and I like the OF86 too, but not quite as much. The OF86 seems to have an odd note or two that I can't quite place, but it's still enjoyable. EWBL I just can't get behind after trying it for a few days running. It drinks really rough, so I find it hard to enjoy straight, and by the time it's watered down to a less rough proof there's no flavor left. Fortunately I only got a 375ml of that.

Looking forward to trying more over the next couple of months!

Connoisseur

Re: Hello from Seattle

Welcome to these forums johan851! Surf around on the various threads that interest you and youi'll learn alot.
    Try some threads that you wouldn't necessarily visit, and you'll learn even more.
    You'll certainly learn more by trying various offerings from the different distilleries, of course; but the forums on SB are FREE!!!!
    How can you beat that, right?? Have FUN!!!

Guru

Welcome to SB johan581! There are a few of us Seattle-area SBr's here - I'm looking forward to your contributions here and if you look at the lower-left-hand-corner of your browser, you'll see a chat icon. Some of us hang out there from time to time. I've a relative n00b13 to the bourbon world and I've learned so much and met some really great people in my short time here. There's some drama here too, but all-in-all it's a good bunch of peeps and they're generous with their help (in knowledge & in sharing their bottles).

Hope to see you around!
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Welcome johan851! I used to find EWBL a bit rough as well, although in my case I learned that was due in part to the way I was drinking it. I've also found that my tastes change over time - so if you have a few pours left, just put it in the back of the cabinet and try it again. Everyone's taste varies (I've tried really hard to like VOB, but just have never gotten there).

I would definitely continue exploring with small bottles where you can find it (including some mid-upper priced offerings, like WTRB, KC, etc). But if it were me and I had a bottle of Bookers - I'd crack that baby open Even if you don't care for it at first (I set my first bottle of Bookers aside for a year thinking it was hot, and then found it to be fabulous), you'll have some idea of what to expect. I don't think my bottle "changed" as much as how I approached the whiskey. Look forward to hearing about your journey!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Novice

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Welcome johan851! I used to find EWBL a bit rough as well, although in my case I learned that was due in part to the way I was drinking it. I've also found that my tastes change over time - so if you have a few pours left, just put it in the back of the cabinet and try it again. Everyone's taste varies (I've tried really hard to like VOB, but just have never gotten there).
    How were you drinking it and what did you change? I'll try setting it aside and revisiting it sometime.

Guru

I was drinking my whiskey like I'd drink most anything else - tip it back and swallow. Then I started taking smaller sips, letting it sit in the middle of my tongue and just wash over the sides (avoiding the front). I try to keep it in my mouth for 20 seconds or so, then swallow. When I started doing that, I didn't get as much burn, and I could taste the flavors I was otherwise missing.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Welcome! Always good to have another local contributing to the forum. If you want to try some of the better bourbons without searching for and buying expensive bottles, check out Bitterroot in Ballard. They pour 2oz and the prices are reasonable.

Virtuoso

Good Day and welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, Tony

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by johan851 View Post
    Looking forward to trying more over the next couple of months!
    Welcome ... LOL, "couple of months" ... try years and years and years!
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd