Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: The real Golden Age is coming

I took it as a reference to when the Van Winkle family still owned and operated the Stitzel-Weller distillery.

Disciple

I think that most consider the glut era products of the past to be some of the greatest whiskies ever created.I agree and disagree,though they are rather good in many ways,viscous,much older than the age statements they carried,great profiles,times have changed.I think that many of our often regarded dusties aren't necessarily so much better that their modern co-parts as different.I mean don't get me wrong I love dusty bourbon,but I see no issues on the horizon other than the retraction of a few age statements and certain shortages.I personally love the direction many distilleries are going with new innovative products and expansion of product lines today.I also think twenty or thirty years from now many will be having this very same discussion about our whiskies of today,because it will most certainly be different then as it is now.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

I should plan so far, think I'll just drink what I can find now.

Advanced Taster

Wainwright, you mention that much of the glut era whiskey was viscous. Although I have not had anything bottled in those days (that I remember anyway), I often wonder what accounted for this thickness, this richness that so many reference. Lower barrel entry proof? Something about the grain itself? Something that might return in the "new golden age" to come?

Guru

I'm optimistic that there are better days ahead. While the shortages will drive up prices, the increase demand will drive more resources into making more products to get a piece of that growing marketshare. That might mean paying more in the future for the same products, but I think it will mean a greater variety of products to choose from. And a revolving door of products to some extent - new ones will come out, and if they don't pick up an audience, they'll go away and make room for something else.

I also think we're seeing more experimentation & science going into the production process. BT's end-goal may not be a bourbon that everyone likes, but if they can better understand what inputs generate which outputs - they'll be in a position to put out a variety of products that many people like. When I first sipped GTS, I couldn't imagine a bourbon I would enjoy more. Then I tried some PHC releases, ECBP, etc. I don't know that every year there will be something that I like better, but I'm optimistic that there will be more offerings that I'll like a helluva lot.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    Wainwright, you mention that much of the glut era whiskey was viscous. Although I have not had anything bottled in those days (that I remember anyway), I often wonder what accounted for this thickness, this richness that so many reference. Lower barrel entry proof? Something about the grain itself? Something that might return in the "new golden age" to come?
    Low still proof, I watch the thickness of it everyday coming off the still. The big boys I doubt ill ever make it like that again.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tmckenzie View Post
    Low still proof, I watch the thickness of it everyday coming off the still. The big boys I doubt ill ever make it like that again.
    Thank you. Yes, still proof was actually what I was imagining when typing barrel entry like a doofus. Makes me think of some of those small-scale mescal and tequila operations distilling to 110 and ending up with a thick, pungent spirit. Apparently that works for grain too.

Enthusiast

Mind if I step into the conversation?

Forget the controversial craft distillers for a second and look towards what is out right now.

There is one product out right now that comes to mind that fits most of your specifications. I think it has flew under the radar due to price, some bias against the distillery for its current product offerings and some terrible marketing. That, or maybe some donít find its tastes align with theirs. But here are its stats:

∑ This bourbon is made from sourced non-GMO corn from what I assume, a limited collection of farmers. (Has to be sourced as it would need to be contracted. Non-GMO corn canít be purchased on the open market I believe)
    ∑ This bourbon is considered to be picked by bourbon legends from some of the best barrels aged in the optimal range of 8 - 9 years old.
    ∑ This bourbon is a single barrel.
    ∑ This bourbon is un-chill filtered.
    ∑ This bourbon is bottled at barrel strength.

Unfortunately, this bourbon costs about $60, has a laughable name and, from what I have found, limited distribution.
    Still donít know the bourbon? It is called the Russellís Reserve Small Batch Single Barrel. (oh god, why)

Is $60 a price that is too much to pay? Maybe. When I open my bottle, Iíll make sure to let you know.
    There is only one other distillery that has some similar practices and products and that would be Four Roses.

The point is: the big players are noticing and they are bringing it. The perfect bourbon is already here!

Guru

They didn't get big by playing catch up.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by zillah View Post
    Mind if I step into the conversation?

Forget the controversial craft distillers for a second and look towards what is out right now.

There is one product out right now that comes to mind that fits most of your specifications. I think it has flew under the radar due to price, some bias against the distillery for its current product offerings and some terrible marketing. That, or maybe some don’t find its tastes align with theirs. But here are its stats:

∑ This bourbon is made from sourced non-GMO corn from what I assume, a limited collection of farmers. (Has to be sourced as it would need to be contracted. Non-GMO corn can’t be purchased on the open market I believe)
    ∑ This bourbon is considered to be picked by bourbon legends from some of the best barrels aged in the optimal range of 8 - 9 years old.
    ∑ This bourbon is a single barrel.
    ∑ This bourbon is un-chill filtered.
    ∑ This bourbon is bottled at barrel strength.

Unfortunately, this bourbon costs about $60, has a laughable name and, from what I have found, limited distribution.
    Still don’t know the bourbon? It is called the Russell’s Reserve Small Batch Single Barrel. (oh god, why)

Is $60 a price that is too much to pay? Maybe. When I open my bottle, I’ll make sure to let you know.
    There is only one other distillery that has some similar practices and products and that would be Four Roses.

The point is: the big players are noticing and they are bringing it. The perfect bourbon is already here!
    it is good stuff, but you had wild turkey before they upped the proof of everything?