Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: The real Golden Age is coming

"perfect" is subjective....highly. look at what we like to eat, drink, drive, mate with, etc....

even if there were a universal "perfect" bourbon, can you imagine the price? I already balk at the $35-40 "good stuff", and wont pay more than that.

Enthusiast

"perfect" is subjective....highly. look at what we like to eat, drink, drive, mate with, etc....

i-don-t-always-meme-generator-i-don-t-mate-every-night-but-when-i-do-i-do-it-with-a-woman-f25013.jpg
    Sto lat!!!

bllygthrd

Advanced Taster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErRHJlE4PGI or, we could be on the verge of living out this scene, with "bourbon" taking the place of "chicken" (and a few other minor substitutions).

Virtuoso

The Golden Age of bourbon will occur when the market price bubble bursts and prices of good bourbons are restored to rational market prices. Meanwhile, new production capacity will be brought on line and irrational products will continue to be brought to market. Every market returns to efficiency. Bourbon is no different.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    I think this would be close to the definition of true "craft" distilling. Rather than just doing things on a smaller scale than the major producers, do each step with care and don't skimp on the age and proof. It would be analogous to what the craft beer movement has done with respect to the big beer producers. I think a couple of the craft distillers will get there, but most won't have the patience and/or capital to do it. And also, most of the buying pubic doesn't care about these things - yet.
    I think 60% of craft distillers want to get there, and maybe 30% actually will. However, if 30% of the craft distillers that were founded in the last 5 years or will be founded in the next five make a good and unique product, we will be in a golden age in 20 years.
    Last edited by Bourbon Boiler; 06-12-2013 at 20:11.

Enthusiast

Proper Warehousing and nature will decide how soon we get golden age bourbons.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

I think 5 years you'll be lucky to see 10% of the current craft distilleries around. I think you'll see the Leopold Bros, McKenzie's, Balcones, Corsair's most of the others are going to fall by the wayside or they won't be in the whiskey business they will be making gins and vodkas. I think the big name guys are making some top grade stuff and I think that is only going to get better. I think the midshelf stuff will get down graded as it has been in the last couple of years. But the premium stuff will just keep getting better. MHO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Connoisseur

Perhaps I missed something here but it seems to me the OP described not a hypothetical craft distiller but BT. Isn't the whole point of their extensive experimentation to create "the perfect bourbon?" I, for one, don't think that is possible because we simply can not agree on what "perfect" tastes like--even hypothetically. De gustibus non disputatum est.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoldBully View Post
    I expect that someday, a producer will make great bourbon (and other) whiskeys that are: (1) made from the most interesting strains of organic grains that have been (2) fermented by the most intriguingly compatible yeasts before being (3) distilled by methods that preserve the richness and complexity of the beer and (4) fully aged in specially sourced barrels cut from exceptional, tight-grained wood (5) with masterful regard for each variable that impacts the aging process along with (6) copious sampling to identify the honey barrels and satisfying vattings, which are (7) bottled without filtration or other modification and (8) marketed with full disclosure of every relevant fact a whiskey nerd/geek/lover would want to know–including the characteristics of the water used, which I left out of the above description. It may happen in phases (and already is to some extent), but my hope is for a large leap forward at one time through a combination of all or nearly all of these key elements.

That is my vision, at least. Naive? Misguided? Moronic? Feel free to tear it apart. Or tell me about your vision.
    Your vision is a reality. We call it Balcones

Taster

I also do believe the best days are ahead. I'm not one of those pining for the old, closed distilleries. They are making it faster than I can drink it. That's all i ask.
    http://whiskeylist.blogspot.com/ downloadable spreadsheet of over 2000 North American Whiskies