Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: The real Golden Age is coming

Quote Originally Posted by AGarrison View Post
    I also do believe the best days are ahead. I'm not one of those pining for the old, closed distilleries. They are making it faster than I can drink it. That's all I ask.
    Hear here, hear here.

Connoisseur

From my perspective, in the last year or so, things have been getting better and better. I have been able to find VOB BIB, and Mellow Corn more or less locally for the first time. Several stores have started to carry Weller 12. The last bottle of Fighting Cock tasted like it was better than I remembered (and cost $15!). My local grocery store has started to carry FR 1B, and KC SB. If I wanted to spend the big bucks, there seem to be plenty of different barrel strength FR in the better stores. With so much good stuff in the $15-$30 range, I don't usually spend more.

Enthusiast

The OP will be glad to read this story:
    http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel..._distlling.php
    After seven years of training with pros across the country, carefully sourcing local grains and wading through legal mumbo-jumbo and outdated laws, Arizona Distilling Co. is finally pumping out a bourbon made right in downtown Tempe that's already creating a buzz (pun intended) with its smooth finish.
    "Because we're micro Jason [Grossmiller] has the ability to do certain things that a giant producer can't do efficiently like we can do with the smaller batches to make it a little bit smoother," says partner Jon Eagan.

That smoothness is specifically attributed to the cold filtering which distillers Grossmiller and his partner Matt Cummins use to process the bourbon. It also helps the aesthetic of the bourbon by retaining its translucence even when iced.

Enthusiast

I don't know guys. Some here would say the "best" has already been made, some say its being made now and some say it is yet too come. As prEviously stated, it's all subjective. Many if not most here would agree the the SW of per 72 was and forever will be some of if not the best bourbon ever bottled.

If we ever hope to see that quality again, regardless of personal taste, cause everyone like something different (that's why God made red heads), the dollar needs to get out of the way.

not to sound ' "........at a loss if we must, but always fine bourbon."
    "You can't claim to have been drinkin all day if you don't start first thing in the mornin."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    The OP will be glad to read this story:
    http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel..._distlling.php

"Because we're micro Jason [Grossmiller] has the ability to do certain things that a giant producer can't do efficiently like we can do with the smaller batches to make it a little bit smoother," says partner Jon Eagan.

That smoothness is specifically attributed to the cold filtering which distillers Grossmiller and his partner Matt Cummins use to process the bourbon. It also helps the aesthetic of the bourbon by retaining its translucence even when iced.

At last we have the answer to the question of what makes some bourbon hot and others not. It's a matter of scale. Micros also do things more efficiently and they chill filter. What a revelation!
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
    At last we have the answer to the question of what makes some bourbon hot and others not. It's a matter of scale. Micros also do things more efficiently and they chill filter. What a revelation!
    Small Barrels and Chill Filtering - The Golden Age starts today!!!!!!

Virtuoso

And why do they emphasize that their rye whiskey was made with durum wheat? And why did they have to go to Las Vegas to make it? Durum wheat rye made by an AZ distillery in NV. WTF?!?!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

I'm surprised they overlooked that other native grain corn, which I believe has been grown locally for quite a spell.

Advanced Taster

Thanks for the lead, Portwood. Isn't it funny how nowadays people are increasing using "local" as an indicator of quality (not just environmental friendliness), when they used to demand "imported" stuff and looked down on anything made too close to home? The swelling predominance of any proxy-based thinking will definitely interfere to some extent with the realization of my dream, but how much, I am not sure. Wish I could believe that crap doesn't stink so long as it's locally defecated!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Meruck View Post
    Many if not most here would agree the the SW of per 72 was and forever will be some of if not the best bourbon ever bottled.
    I'm curious what you're basing this statement on.